Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

My screws are screwing with me Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » My screws are screwing with me « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

matthew

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the screws to my mnolta x-370 are really tight. i mean REALLY TIGHT. what am i to do?? i need to remoce the tops, bottom, and plastic coverings so i can repair the shutter curtain. does anybody have a tip on how to loosen the screws without stripping them??? thanks.

Henry

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matthew, I see you decided to go ahead on your X370. I warned you about those screws! They are buggers, aren't they?

A couple hints might be helpful. Use a very good quality CROSSPOINT (don't even think about using a phillips) one size larger than you think fits. You'll need the driver strength.

Next, two ways to go, but I favor the latter. By hand or in drill press. By hand you'll need to increase the diameter of the handle. Out to 1" diameter should do it...unless your fingers are very strong. What I do is chuck up a Niwa crosspoint bit and clamp the body in the press vise. Wrap it in rags, of course. With down pressure on the quill turn the chuck by hand. It'll need several turns before you'll be able to easily remove by hand.

Warning: You'll regret stripping the screw heads...which you probably have already done if using a phillips.

Granted I am weaker than most folk, due to my MD, but the drill press trick works EVERY time.

Henry

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I pass on this tip from an old friend. Make yourself a large handled screwdriver just for removing tight screws.Most miniature drivers have thin handles and you just cannot grip them tight enough. My friend's dodge was to build up the thickness using car body filler or epoxy putty.You must start with a good driver point that fits the screw properly.I can vouch that these really work on power driven screws,even those trilobal self-tappers.

Do not use the modified drivers to tighten screws,you will twist the heads off if you are not careful.

If your camera has not been stripped before,I suspect that the screws will have been torqued up with a power driver.They will thus be under quite a bit of tension.Support the camera on a cloth bag filled with rice.This will allow you to safely apply downward pressure to the driver/screwhead.

If threadlock has been used, you will just have to break the bond.Solvents will attack the finish.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can also get 1/4" hex interchangeable bits in these sizes to use in a full size screwdriver. As Glenn suggested, something like this is for emergency use only and should never be used for tightening.

Frank Marshman

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having opened probably 1500 of these cameras as well as over 75000 other cameras I will offer several of my techniques. First, get good drivers. The blades should be interchangeable since they will break over time. Adding a torque tube to these drivers helps to give some help. Another choice is adding a breaker bar through the driver handle. Second, if the screw is tight try giving it a light tap with a small hammer, 1oz, which will losen the really tight screws. Third, with a good downward pressure on the driver give it a quick snap rather than constant pressure.

None of these techniques work every time. Sometimes it is important to learn how to get the screws out after the head has been buggered.

Michael Linn

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As the previous posters have suggested, having the proper srewdriver is essential. On these particular Minoltas I have found that a drop or two of Ronsonol (naptha) applied to the screws can really help with the release.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration