Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FG mad LED display Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon FG mad LED display « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My FG has recently started playing up. The led display in the viewfinder which displays the shutter speed seems to work ok, but in addition to the selected speed the led for 1 second is lit, and is about twice as bright as normal. It's so bright it half lights up the 1/2 second window next to it.

Any idea's on where to start?

Stuart Willis

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike ... there are all sorts of posibilities but your first move should be to change the ASA to a different setting. Move it significantly away from the currently set number. Now test the metering again.

You are effectively trying to eliminate or confirm that the problem is (or is not) at the ASA wiper or the circular segmented resistor as under the film rewing knob beneath the top-plate.

If all is good at a different ASA setting, you may only need to clean the resistance track and clean and check the spring tension of the gold-plated wiper.

If all remains good at the different ASA setting but still bad at the original ASA setting after the cleaning job - then the chances are the circular segmented resistor is bad at a particular spot. In this case you can easily replace it provided you can obtain a spare (perhaps from a junker camera of the same model) - or you can use the closest ASA setting which works - and make a compensating shutter-speed or ÄStop adjustment.

I have encountered your described problem on FG Models and the above guideline is valid.

Mike

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info, Stuart. It's early days, and I don't want to tempt fate, but I think I've fixed it. After changing lenses and finding the same problem, I guessed it must be the ASA dial or the f-stop resistor under the lens mount. This is simply because tapping the ASA dial side of the camera got it to go away, tapping the shutter speed side didn't, otherwise I'd have suspected the shutter speed dial as well. I cleaned the gold contacts and wipers, reassembled, and so far, so good.

I was getting a bit desperate the other day, so got a quote from a camera repairer. £95 + VAT (@17.5%). That makes me feel even better...

Stuart Willis

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah! I only charge £90 for advices in this forum.
So you are £5 ahead of the game - and no VAT ;- )))))))))))))))))

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration