Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X-700 counter wont go to zero... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta X-700 counter wont go to zero, stays on 14? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar A

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read alot of the archived pages on this forum and others, and most of the problems relate to the capacitors jamming the shutter. I havent found anything on this problem yet.

The counter can count up, all the way to 36, but when I pop the back so the counter should reset to zero, it stops at 14.

Any way to fix this? The red bar also is not coming across.

Any help is appreciated

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Omar.
Is there a dent in the top plate of the camera? If your counter is running forward, it should reset to 0 when released...unless there is a dent or something inside the camera binding it. The red bar often will only show a bit of itself. Usually it can be seen, however. If there is no dent or anything restraining the counter wheel, I would remove the top plate and see what the problem might be. Please let me know if you need help removing it.

Jon

Omar A

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll go ahead and try it. It just feels to me like there is a spring that isn't strong enough. If I'm lucky it might just be something in a gear.

I'm heading to a photo store to pick up a lense for my video camera tomorrow, so I'll ask if the salesperson could take a look at the x700. If not theres an authorized minolta dealer near my house.

Is there some sort of spring involved that resets the counter to zero? It feels like the spring just isn't tight enough and its stopping.

-Omar

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On some cameras the coil spring that powers the auto reset needs tensioning properly for the counter reset to work properly.However if this camera has not been taken apart then I would suggest that the return spring has either slipped or lost its tension due to age.

What ever the reason you may find that cleaning/oiling the mechanism and then setting up the mechanism per service manual will solve problem.

I have no experience of repairing X-700,so cannot say if a coil spring is used.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It could be the spring...I hesitate to mention that, because as Glenn said, if it hasn't been disassembled, this probably isn't the problem. Minoltas generally use a coil wrapped around the counter mechanism. If it travels from frame 14 to 36 and resets freely, I don't think it would be gummed up. Something else is causing this, but it probably is not anything severe. Usually these problems are from some small something. If you whack the camera against the heel of your palm does it travel back beyond 14, say to 10 or so? One more idea...check to be sure the reset lever is not hanging up on old gummy light seal foam. If it is not coming out all the way, it could be enough to catch a tooth of the gear and stop the reset procedure.

Jon

Omar A

Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't move to 10, and the lever isn't stuck. Monday I'm going to bring it to the authorized minolta repair shop and see how much damage it'll do to my wallet.

-Omar

Mike

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had this problem on a Yashica once. It was exactly as you say, only mine stuck at 18. When I took the top off, it was clear that the dial was simply binding on the pointer. By "pointer", I mean there was a small metal arc next to the dial with a red line on it that pointed to the frame number. It was held by one small screw, and as soon as this was loosened the dial reset all the way back to "s".

Omar A

Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know I had seen a site where they showed you the diagrams to take off the top cover, anyone have a link for it?

-Omar

Mark

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a simalar problem with my X700...Though, my frame counter is not working at all. It was caused by the low speed auto winder taking the film canister all the way to the last frame on a 24 roll, and stoping there. When I released the winder to rewind the film cannister, ther was a slight bit of resistance. Any suggestions?

Doug

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this link: http://www.twid.de/x700.

Mark

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh! Ok, I tackled the counter problem... I saw on another post that a plastic "stop" on the counter dial, itself, often breaks off on the X700. I drilled a hole, and secured a small pin to stop the index dial, and retensioned the coil spring 1/4 turn.. all works well. Now, however, I am having to have to deal with the notorius "stuck shutter" problem with the same camera that has suddenly materialized!

Mark

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

P.S.: thank's Doug, for the link... some good info, but not in depth. I am looking for the Minolta repair manual for the X700 now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration