Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic 7S - loose lens barrel Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta Hi-Matic 7S - loose lens barrel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lauri Kapari

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 05:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I just bought a minty Minolta Hi-Matic 7s. All is working fine, but there is a little play between the lens barrel and the housing. Is this normal or something to be concerned about? Is there a safe and easy way to cure this problem?

And another question on the use of the camera: How sensitive the light meter is to wrong battery voltage - should I expect serious underexposure with 1.5 V battery.

Wim Abbeloos

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is normal. No way to cure the problem that I know of.

The voltage of a 1.5V battery varies during it's lifetime so you can not just compensate for underexposure.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't had a Hi-Matic 7s, but in other similar RF cameras the lens/shutter assembly is attached to a panel that as attached to the front of the camera with 4 screws - either just under the leatherette or hidden behind panels under the leatherette. Often these screws work loose and cause a slight wobble in the whole lens/shutter assembly.

A 1.4v #675 zinc/air hearing aid battery is the cheapest/easiest way to accurate metering. A silver cell in a CRIS adapter would be my second choice.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Hi-Matic cameras are notorious for having a wobble in the lens. First, check the screws that Rick mentioned. More often the problem is internal to the lens. There are screws that hold the focus helical together and they can wear or work loose. Also, there needs to be grease in the helical to dampen the movement. If the grease is dried out or migrates out then the helical wobbles.

Unfortunately you have to completely disassemble the lens to fix the problem and that is complex on that camera. If it isn't much of a wobble, I suggest you just shoot at small apertures and live with it. :)

Lauri Kapari

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info. Since most of the wobble seems to be located between the camera body and the lens barrel, I'll take a look at the screws Rick mentioned first.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration