Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F "T" & "B" settings don't work... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon F "T" & "B" settings don't work. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

CJ

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

I've recently picked up a Nikon F, (SN# 74xxx...) and tried the 'T' setting tonight (don't have a shutter release cable for the F style). I noticed three problems:

- the T setting doesn't work; the shutter merely sounds as though it's defaulting to 1/60 or 1/30 or something

- nor does the B setting work. Pressing the shutter release and holding it down merely results in the same action I mentioned above.

- the shutter speed on this FTn head cannot be turned through 360 deg. For example, I have to move it all the way in the opposite direction from T or B if I want 1/500, etc.

Can anybody offer any suggestions on this, or should I just resign myself to not making time or bulb exposures with this thing?

Thanks,

-CJ

Jiml

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like a coupling problem. The prism markings are not the camera set dial and should not rotate freely. Remove the prism and check the acyual dial, they are coupled by a pin on the prism dial.

CJ

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info Jim.

I took the Photomic meter off and directly rotated the shutter speed dial through all of it's settings. Strangely, I get the same results. Weird.

-CJ

jiml

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was afraid of that. it's worse than I hoped.
Must be internal. I think you might be best off to ignore it for now unless you want to spend some big bucks, you don't use B or T that much anyway. Sorry, Jim.

CJ

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your help, Jim.

Yep--you got it--this just won't be my choice for long exposures. Thankfully, it seems to work fine in every other way.

Cheers,

-CJ

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration