Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus OM1 control cord Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Olympus OM1 control cord « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

doug

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 06:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can someone help, I have a Olympus OM1 which has a broken cord from the shutter dial to the meter. I need to replace it, but I am unable to find a suitable cord.
Does any one know where this can be obtained.

Roberto Rossi

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have always found certain types of fishing line make suitable alternatives.Just choose a product that is most suitable for your make of camera.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The special cord used to string jewelry beads works. This cord is designed to be unaffected by changes in temperature and humidity, so it is suitable for application as a camera exposure control cable. This cord is available in craft shops and on the web, but I forget the trade name for it.

doug

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Roberto, I have tried Micro Braid fishing line, but it does not glue to the speed dial for long. This may be to it having a smooth surface.
Haig I had the same idea, I will have to find a large craft outlet, so I can have a look at the cord.
Thank you both.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Doug:

I wasn't familiar with Micro Braid, so I looked it up: I think your gluing problem is happening because the fiber in this line is polyethylene based: nothing sticks to polyethylene, it's the next best thing to Teflon for shedding adhesives. I think a braided fishing line sounds like a good prospect, but avoid the "Dyneema" fiber.

doug

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Rick
Guess what fishing line I have been trying " Drennan " dyneema based microfilament. I took up the suggestion from Haig about the string used in jewelry, and went to a " Hobbycraft" outlet, but the string they use is wax coated cotton and not suitable.
I will have to back to the local fishing expert and seek advice. I have use "Spiderwire" fishing line on a Canon AE-1 that works fine, but is far to fine for the Olympus.

rick oleson

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For some time I was carrying a note around in my wallet to remind me to pick up a particular brand of fishing line that had looked promising for this purpose - but I never did, and I don't seem to have the note any more. As I recall it was about a 40 pound test to get it bulky enough for the pulleys.... I guess one shouldn't have to worry about it stretching, anyway.....

: ) =

doug

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Rick
I will bear that in mind when I try to get some line, every little bit of information helps.

Doug

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a link to a non-stretch beading cord called "Dandyline." this should work if you use the right size.

http://www.beadsandpieces.com/dandyline.html

doug

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Haig, this looks like it is the right stuff, now to work out the right size. We have all know that this cord was out there some where, but trying to find it is the problem. So thanks again.

Doug

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration