Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pinhole repair for Canon F-1 shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Pinhole repair for Canon F-1 shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dennis

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've discovered a tiny pinhole in the shutter curtain on my recently acquired Canon F-1N. (It has the titanium metal foil curtains.) Can anyone recommend a method or product that can be used to "patch" a metal curtain? I've read about remedies for the cloth curtains which may or may not be effective here. Thank you.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dennis:

I had this same problem with a Nikon F - the hole was actually a tiny crack at the edge of one of the dimples in the titanium foil. I cut a very small piece (about 3 x 4 mm) of black photo masking tape and applied it over the crack on the rear side of the curtain, and never had any trouble with it. The tape has to be small enough - especially in the horizontal direction - so that it does not interfere with the curling of the curtain around the spindles.

A similar size piece cut from a film changing bag might also work as well, applied with contact cement. This fabric is very thin and flexible.

Dennis

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot Rick,

Yes, the small hole is next to or on top of a small round dimple -I haven't checked yet with high magnification.

I was thinking along the lines of a liquid rubber or paint on product, but I like your idea of using tape better and it's easy to redo if it starts to loosen at the edges. I'm not familiar with photo masking tapes though. A Google search turns up quite an array of choices. There are paper based, fiber based and also foil types. As long as it's opaque and black, I suppose the thinner the better for flexibility. The brand names Scotch, Permacel & Bogen seem common as well. Do you recall what type or brand you used?

rick

Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine was paper based - looks like regular masking tape, except a bit thicker, and black - and with a better quality adhesive that doesn't give out over time. It was probably Scotch brand. Art supply stores and camera stores probably have it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration