Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar 24 Light Meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Vivitar 24 Light Meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Ritchie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a small Vivitar 24 light meter meant for shoe mounting. I find that it is one stop off calibration, and cannot see any way of adjusting unless it is hidden inside. A new battery has been installed and terminals cleaned but no help. This meter looks like one that you could open with a couple of screws, but everything likely to fall loose at that point. Anyone have experience with one of these small meters and can offer any suggestions?

Mark Pearce

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It opens up easily enough, but watch the battery door, as it will come loose.
I don't remember if there's a zero adjust on the inside, as mine worked fine execpt for a switch/wire issue that was easy to correct.
BTW, when you do get the meter squared away and on a camera, watch the on/off switch. A camera worn around the neck will often cause the meter to switch on or off as the camera swings against the body. It's the only reason I got rid of mine, and replaced it with a Sekonic Micro Junior.

David Ritchie

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mark. I have been looking for a shoe mount meter for some time and was disappointed to find that this one is out of calibration. I'll pop it open and see what I find.I will also keep my eye open for a Sekonic Mico Jr.

David Ritchie

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark, I popped open the Vivitar 24 and found it to be utterly simple inside but no adjustment. I believe it is totally dependent on the value of each of the resistors etc. which I am not knowledgeable enough to check out. Thanks for your help.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was this meter designed for a 1.35V mercury battery? If so, try a 675 type zinc-air hearing aid battery (1.4V) and see if it reads more accurately.

David Ritchie

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good thought Haig. I rechecked the meter and see that a 1.35V battery would be too big to fit in the opening for the battery.

David Ritchie

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wrong about the 675 battery. I have a mercury battery that I was trying instead of the 675 you suggested, which DOES FIT. I will check out results as soon as the sun comes out and this noreaster goes away. Thankd

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration