Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta 700X Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta 700X « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read a number of posts regarding several of the X series of Minolta cameras. Generally, when the shutter refuses to open I've read that the cause occurs when certain capacitors stop functioning and need to be replaced. Today I stopped in at a camera repair facility and asked this same question. He stated that simply replacing the capacitors will not do it and that the motherboard located in the base of the camera also needs replacing. He charges $139.00 to do it. Well, I'm not ready to spend that sort of money even if my 700X is in mint condition. The diods light up in the viewfinder but the shutter won't trip. Would you agree with this repairman? If there are two capacitors, one in the top and one in the bottom, how do you know which one is bad? I don't think I want to get involved in removing the top from my 700X. Crazy question, would replacing the one in the base do anything???

Also, there was a fella who read my post a while back and offered to repair it fo $39.00. Does anyone know who this fella is and what sort of work does he do? Thanks,

Harlee

Michael Linn

Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nobody is going to replace the "motherboard" at the base of your X700 for $139. He is just going to do a capacitor replacement at the bottom. The problem is most likely the capacitor and there is plenty of help right here on this board for getting it diagnosed and replaced. Just do a search and you'll find out how to do it.

Mark

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Michael, this repairman must have been looking to make some money. Most likely, he would replace the capacitors, which (unless the camera was exposed to enough moisure to have ruined the printed circuitry) most likely is the cause of such failure. I do nto remember the name of the person that you are refering to, but if you surch the archives, you will find him. As for a source of the capacitors, try Micro Tools (www.microtools.com).. very cheap - about $4.00 for a bag of ten! The are specific for the X-700.
If you DIY, I suggest the following lin taht was passed on to me: http://twid.de/x700 some very good disassembly photos to reference, The removal of the top case is not too complicated, just take your time, and "look before you leap!" I just did one of my X-700's with another repair thrown in to boot! Generaly, if one capacitor is bad, both go, so I would opt to replace both, but that is just mho...Sorry to be so loong winded! Good Luck

Mark

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I was a nice guy afterall, and tracked the link down for you:

http://www.garryscamera.com

He does have a lot of good experience with the X-700 in specific. I have not had to send my cameras to him (knock on wood) but I do hear that they do good work.

Harlee

Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Mark for finding the website for Garry's Camera Repair. I do recall he was the one who wrote me, but I lost his address. I just wrote Garry for details. Thanks again for your help. If my X-700 were a junker, I'd lift the top myself, but mine is in mint condition and I'd like to keep it that way. ;>) Harlee

Frank Marshman

Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For all of the above answers to the question: Yes, there could have been a reason to replace the board, however the "mother board" on the 700 series is the flex at the top of the camera, the one on the bottom is just used to operate the magnets. The proble with the caps is that the dialectric material leaks and causes the printed area of the board to short. In the worst case situation the dialectric actually eats the runs off and than those must be jumped.

If the camera passes signal, when the release button is pressed the led display blanks out and doesn't come on that most likely the problem is the release capicator. If the led does not come on at all than it could be the top capicator. If it blinks when the release button is pressed or if it just stays lit than the problem is not a capicator problem but an IC problem.

The easiest way to tell if a cap needs to be replaced is to look at it. If it is tantium than it does not need to be replaced, if it is electrolytic then look at the base to see if there is corrosion or just smell. Leaking capicators stink like cat piss. After the cap is removed wash the board with issopropal alcahol.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration