Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canolite D Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canolite D « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

neila

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

What is the most common reason for a Canolite flash not working?

I have a cased one in perfect condition. Everything looks good inside, wire connections, soldering, clean battery compartment etc.

I put in 2 new alkaline batteries and the unit charges with the orange light glowing in 3 seconds after I switch it on. On both a QL 17 GIII and a Canonet 28, the meter moves appropriately.

It just doesn't fire. Could it be the flash bulb? If so where could I get one?

The only quirk I can see is that the orange light doesn't go out before 2 minutes after I switch off the unit. But maybe this is normal.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Neil

Dorian

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are sure its not the camera flash-sync that is not working, or the cable is making bad contact? Try connecting it to a different camera or tightening the sync connector a little. If the flash is indeed bad, I'd just buy another - and make sure it works first.

Roberto Rossi

Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suggest flash is at fault.On my D when you switch off the orange ready light goes out immediately.The off switch must earth the charge circuit I think.Looks like the unit is not charging up properly to the correct level.

Ezio

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1) In my own experience, what Roberto says about the orange light is not correct, at least not always. I've handled some 5-6 of these flash, and in all of those that worked that light remained on for 2-3 minutes after the flash was switched off and indeed the flash could even be fired in this status. Still, it may well be that this implies than none of them was charging up correctly. 2) I once had the very same problem as discussed in this thread, and I could not come to an answer. In the end I suspected the bulb itself, but the only way for me to test this would have been to remove the bulb from a working unit, which seemed a little bit preposterous.

Roberto Rossi

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ezio,
Thanks for your comments.As my D behaves like my other flash unit on turn off, I assumed it was performing completely as normal.It produces correct exposures etc.The unit has been repaired/serviced,I purchased with a repairshop guarantee.Wonder if it has a faulty switch or was subject to a repair/service modification?Think I will leave well alone until something goes.

neila

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Still haven't got the unit working, but thanks for all your help. I suspect my bulb is the problem too, but when I bought it there was no way of testing it - I had the batteries (and it seemed to charge with the orange light coming on) but no camera... Without a test button it's impossble to know whether these units work - surely a design fault brought about by false economics on Canon's behalf.

Henry

Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before trying to find a bulb replace the capacitor. It sounds like it isn't really charging properly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration