Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need small rivets Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Need small rivets « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

puderse

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Replacing bellows on old Kodak. Have NOS bellows but old one is riveted between two sheets of metal. Before I drill these rivets out I need a source of new tiny rivets or advise on removing and re-use or an idea about replacing with ???

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have small rivets in both soft brass and iron.Contact me direct with the diameter and number you want.If I have the diameter I will post you some.

I personally replace rivets on some cameras with 10 or 12 BA hex headed bolts and nuts.The steel bolts in question are known in the model engineering world as half thickness head and nut type.Thus you get a very slim and hardly noticeable fastener.For effect, the head of the bolt can be rounded off.With the use of nutlock you will find that you can nip the nut up without having to hold the bolt head and still get a secure fixing.

Sometimes the original rivet was of the tubular type.If the diameter of the rivet is large enough, it is possible to drill out solid brass rivets in the lathe so as to replicate the original fastening.

John Shriver

Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've always used small screws for this. In US sizes, 0-80 or 2-56.

http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Rob

Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the diameter of the rivets? I can get some soft aluminum rivets in 3/32". Anything smaller might be a trick. The trick with solid rivets is to have the shank protrude from the work by 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 times the diameter of the rivet. It would also be a delicate proposition given the nature of the work.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration