Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Solvent for covering Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Solvent for covering « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Wallage

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Has anyone found a solvent for the adhesive used to fix the covering
on post-war Zeiss Ikon cameras? I need to lift the leatherette on
several to get rid of 'Zeiss Bumps' underneath. I don't want to
replace the leatherette with new because that would mean losing the
Zeiss Ikon logo, the model number and, in some cases, the serial
number. On early 1930s cameras and several pre-amalgamation cameras,
I've had success lifting one edge of the covering with a scalpel blade
and painting in denatured alcohol with a small brush. This has
softened the adhesive so the covering comes away without damage, but
it doesn't want to work on 1950s examples. Any help based on
experience would be appreciated, Thanks,

Peter

Stuart Willis

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove it dry - using a chisel/spade Exacto blade.
The covering is textile-based and while some spriit preparations may soften the adhesive "Any" lquid whether solvent or even water will cause the panel to shrink significantly. Take your time with that dry chiseling process. You'll get there.

Acetone will release the Shellac Adhesive as used on the geuine leather of most Rollei TRLs - but once again, the liquid will even shrink the leather.

Short summary. Chisel it off DRY.

Frank Marshman

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Stuart said the adhesive is shellac, but the solvent is alcohol. Using any of the hydrocarbon solvents will cause the leatherette to soften resulting in at the least wrinkled leatherette. If you can lift it off in one piece it is wonderful and than you can replace it using the orginial adhesive for maintainance of integrity. Another way that I often use, I've repaired over 75000 cameras, is to cut a small X in the leather and clean it out with a small screwdrive blade and later flushed with alcohol: reglue it and hide the cut. Anothe method is to use a hypodermic needle, penetrate and flush with alcohol using a flush-suck to get all the corrosion out. This is only a problem when there is a rivit of brass or some other brass thing which has been in contact with scellac for years. To prevent that hapening again paint the rivit with lacquer paint to seal it.

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do agree that the prewar Zeiss Ikon cameras are easier - the leather is a thicker Morrocan type and I believe the adhesive is horse hoof glue.

Exacto is my usual technique - I take the leather piece off with it, polish and clean the rivet heads, than paint them over with nail polish.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration