Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mtl3 door stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Mtl3 door stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Ivnitsky

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

after replacing the door seal on a mtl3 the back door needs to be pulled to be opened while it used to jump open before.I didnt get glue anywhere and the new door seal doesnt hinder any hinges

charlie

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the new seal thinner or less resiliant than the old one?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As most of the 'spring' in a rear door can be due to the pressure plate and associated springs,check that you have not dislodged the pressure plate assembly or pressed it and caused the springs to jam.

Another pressure point can be the counter reset striker.As you seem to have used glue on the seals it is possible that the lever is stuck in.I do not know if the reset in the mtl3 does bear on the door with sufficient pressure to cause the door to self open,but it is worth a check.

Assuming all the above are correct or do not play any part in door opening,then I would suggest that the hinge strip is, as Charlie states less resilient than the original.Place another piece of foam on the hinge end and see if this restores the spring.You may have to use a thicker/more resilient foam at this location.

Personally I would recommend Jon Goodman's self adhesive seal kits as these always seem to work first time,the doors always fit snugly and spring open with alacrity.

Jesse Traquair

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the same problem with a Praktica L and an L2.

I found that the seal I used was too thick. I think the thicker seal produced too much pressure on the latching mechanism which caused it to stick.

My solution was to use Jon Goodman's seal kit. My experience with Jon's materials is the same as Glenn's. Look for them on ebay. Jon's seller ID is interslice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration