Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F1n Light Meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon F1n Light Meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pam Watson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a Canon F1n. The light meter seems to be not working. When I look through the viewfinder, the shutter speed number that shows up in the meter area doesn't move, and the meter doesn't seem to change when I move from light to dark areas. I know it probably means getting the meter fixed, or using an external meter. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frank Marshman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pam,

Is the Canon F1n old style, mechanical, or newer electronic. is the battery located on the front, newer, or on the bottom, older.

If it is newer, all of the meter activities are interconnected with the electronics of the body as well as the head. Check for connections in the contacts to the head/body.

If it is older first check the contacts. Frequently there was corrosion which can migrate to the battery box contact wire and cause such resistance that it will not pass voltage.

The next suspect is the coil itself. Check with the battery check button. If there is no movement there is a possibility that the coil is either dead of stuck. There could also be other problems. The CdS cell is doubtful since that problem would only show up as a low response. This camera uses a simple resistance moving meter system so not much electronically going on there.

Go first for power up than meter coil.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration