Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon EF won't power up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon EF won't power up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug Wilson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon EF that is cosmetically and mechanically in excellent condition. Unfortunately, neither the meter nor slow speeds operate. Fresh batteries. Got a little intimidated with the four piece on/off switch and haven't opened it up yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have any indications that there is a connection from the batteries to any area of camera, ie battery test?I would always check battery 'box'wireing first - the dreaded high resistance due to corrosion - affliction.

For a really good repair manual download,go to Christian Rollinger's Canon site;

www.canonfd.com/choose.htm

The EF repair manual will give you the details you require.

Contact me if you get stuck,I have an EF in my collection that I can delve into,if required.

Doug Wilson

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ground wire was disconnected due to corrosion. In ten minutes I've turned a perfectly good paperweight into a fully functional camera!

Thanks Glenn!

I took the liberty of converting the jpeg manual at Rollinger's website in to a more handy PDF file. You can email me at [email protected] if you would like a copy.

This forum is awsome!

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug,
Any reason why I cannot reach you on the above address? would like a copy of the PDF.

My email is;
[email protected]

Regards Glenn.

Doug Wilson

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn:

I tried sending the PDF file but it came back with an error message saying the file was too big (34MB). I then split the file into two files and tried to send them seperately but had the same result. Any suggestions?

If all else fails, I'll send you a CD (received one message from you which includes your address).

If anyone else would like a CD-ROM copy of the file, please send $5.00 (to cover my costs and shipping) along with your address to:

Doug Wilson
885 Grandon Way
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

Also, to the other person who requested this file:

I seem to have lost your original message while I was attempting to send you the file. Please contact me again.

Henry

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug, I was the other person. But my method of choice in sending these huge files is one of the peer-to-peer programs like AIM or Yahoo Messenger. You on either of those? I'm "henrytaber2" of AIM and plain old "henrytaber" on Yahoo. I have been on ICQ too, but been ages.

That is if you have broadband...

Henry

Frank Marshman

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doug.

I was trained on these cameras by canon a lot of years ago. I wouldn't fix one if I was paid, actually I have refused the last 25 that came into my shop.

They have a panitary gear system under the rewind lever. They also have a very strange mosfet metering system that is very sensitive to static. When the top is off it is absolutely imparative that the switch be closed so it does not pick up a static charge. I watched a canon tech blow a camera by getting up, scratching his nuts and sitting back down then touching the circuit.

The EF was a design that was dropped within 2 years. If you pull the mirrorbox you will find a series of contacts that were to be used for other things that would be added in the future. The AE seried came out and the EF was scrapped.

frank

Duncan

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For anyone in Australia who is wrestling with an EF, but getting stuck, can I suggest Camera Service Centre, in Sydney (02 92647091). They serviced my 2 bodies, and seemed to do a very fine job. Took them a while to source one part from the US, but when they came back, they were as good as new, apart from the general signs of wear on the outside. Of course, the owner has an EF, so he was possibly biased in trying to resurrect these beauties :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration