Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Please help with Minolta X-700 mirror Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Please help with Minolta X-700 mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve T.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trying to describe this as best I can...

The mirror is slightly tilted in the mirror box. When the mirror is down, you can see it's not parallel with the bottom of the mirror box. When up, it's not parallel with the mirror damping strip.

It does flip up and down in all shutter speeds.

I've always heard that you shouldn't touch a mirror for fear of messing up the delicate alignment, but it's already messed up.

Anything I can do other than take it to a pro?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Steve.
It sounds like it has come loose in the linkage somehow. I don't have an X-700 to look at, however, most of the X-series Minoltas I've worked on had the mirror hinged at the very rear and then had a second pivot point just a little ways up from the rear hinge where a small lever lifts up both sides of the mirror at one time. Please lift the mirror up (gently...this will not harm it) and look to see if you can tell what has come loose (or has gotten bent, etc).
Best regards,
Jon

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the mirror just come loose and slipped on the metal carrier/support plate.The fact that the mirror seems to be working properly otherwise seems a bit funny.I would have thought that loose linkage might have caused a jam.

Steve T.

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see anything loose or bent. The mirror is in place on the support plate.

It does work on all shutter speeds. Weird.

I think the mirror being slightly crooked in the morror box would change the view in the finder just a bit...

Seems to be a nice body other than this problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration