Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Shutter Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE-1 Shutter Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug Wilson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since my recent posting concerning an ailing EF produced such a quick solution, I’ll throw another one out for consideration:

I have an AE-1 that’s misbehaving. The original problem (which I think I have solved) was that every third cock, it would not fire. Upon investigation, I found that the swipe arm that closed the circuit (top of camera, next to shutter release button) would barely make contact with the flex contact and, at every third cock, no contact at all. It seems as though the charge cam wasn’t machined correctly. A bit of gentle persuasion with some tweezers repositioned the arm enough to make it fire consistently.

However, now the second curtain releases immediately when the camera is fired, no matter what speed is selected. Is replacing the second-curtain magnet the solution? Or is there a bad cap somewhere?

Also, my success rate soldering to the flex is mediocre at best. Any soldering hints would also be welcome.

Michael Linn

Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More than once I've seen this caused by an alkaline battery which passed the battery check test but was intermiitent or failed to hold the second curtain. Canon even took to placing a sticker inside the battery door on later production "USE ONLY SILVER OXIDE BATTERY". I'd start there. If that is not the problem, the next easy thing to check is the magnet.

The red wire coming to it from the battery box should show full battery voltage. If that is OK I would next check the resistance of the coil (red & black wires) which should be around 220 ohms. You can also short the black wire directly to ground while releasing the shutter. If the magnet is OK, it should hold the shutter open while you do that.

Doug Wilson

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was infinite resistance at the coil. Replaced the coil and second curtain is now behaving normally.

Unfortunately, it is now misfiring once again. Shutter will trip four or five times in a row; and then nothing. Trip the shutter manually at first curtain magnet, fire off another half-dozen or so with shutter button; then nothing. I guess I could just cut a hole in the bottom plate...

Doug Wilson

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was infinite resistance at the coil. Replaced the coil and second curtain is now behaving normally.

Unfortunately, it is now misfiring once again. Shutter will trip four or five times in a row, and then nothing. Trip the shutter manually at first curtain magnet, fire off another half-dozen or so with shutter button, then nothing. I guess I could just cut a hole in the bottom plate..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration