Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Left Handed Nikon F100 Beta Test Model Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Left Handed Nikon F100 Beta Test Model « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This has nothing to do with repairs but is of use for a forthcoming book my brother and I are writing on ergonomics and disability.

In 1998 Nikon produced a left-handed F100.Beta test samples were built and tested.However not enough interest was shown by left-hookers and the project was shelved.

Now I am left handed but would never buy a left handed camera.I like my left hand to control the lens focus and even with autofocus zooms,it is my left hand that gives the most natural hold on the lens.I can use either eye on the finder but always tend to use the left,never found the wind on to be a problem.Well not on the cameras I used/used.I suspect many left handers are like me from the comments I have gathered.

So to the question I am asking.A number of right handed people have told me that the right hand on shutter release/left hand on focus-zoom ring does not feel right and in somecases has put the person off progressing to a slr camera.These people would have purchased a left handed version of the F100 in a flash. I wonder if Nikon did not fully understand the product they had produced and thus got the marketing projections wrong?Did they only question left handers, we will never know.

If you are right handed and feel a left handed body would feel more natural or if you are like me and find the present right handed body is more natural,please contact me direct.I do not want to take up space here.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paolo Amedeo

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 31, 2005 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn,
Here is the perspective from another lefty.
First, regarding the commercial failure of the left-handed model, I think is also due to several reasons: 1) any shop would have to get more inventory for a product that would satisfy only between 10% and 20% of the costumers that were interested in that particular model of camera; 2) for the simple reason of having a limited market, the price would be higher; 3) many left-handed people when possible, prefer not to get specialized pieces of equipment to avoid problems, later on, when they have to use a generic one.
Now, on the other side, the only advantage I would really find in having a left-handed camera are limited to the new cameras covered with commands. The dominant hand is slightly better in moving independently the fingers: on such cameras, with the last two-three fingers, you need to hold it tight, while you are using the others for changing the settings.
Still discussing about those “space-age cameras”, the advantage of having the choice between left and right model, I think is more important for the eye: the thumb is very active in the settings business and, if you use the left eye to look into the viewfinder, it's getting a bit uncomfortable...
I also do some target shooting and this leads me to think that there could be a difference between who is use to shoot with a rifle and who isn't for what regards holding the lens with the left hand. Especially with telephoto lens, the should feel a much more natural position for the shooters that are used to hold the forearm of their rifle with the left arm. Non-shooters, I bet, would prefer “symmetrical” positions, grabbing the camera, placing both hands in similar positions...

Those are my 2 cents.

Good luck with your book!

Paolo

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration