Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

TLR sekor lens with elements fog and ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » TLR sekor lens with elements fog and dust « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Evangelos Makris

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you please tell me what to use and do to remove the "slight" fogging on some internal elements on a Mamiya TLR Sekor lens? Also, how can I put back together elements in groups and groups back into barrels without those dust particles sneaking in (applies to other lenses too)?

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Denatured alcohol is great. MIcrofiber wipes or Bounty paper towels. Use canned air to blow off specs and be sure to wash your hand, wash your hands and wash your hands to remove as much oil as you can. Handle elements by their edges or use a small piece of postit or tape if it's a large one. I also have a small suction cup which I use to lift and place large lenses. Once in, wipe it's surface and blow it out as you examine it. Patience is key.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would only use Microfibre lens cloth or proper lens tissue.I would never trust any paper towel or tissue wipers on a lens.Have only to look at my coated spectacle lenses to see what paper towels can do!In fact microfibre is really the only sensible choice now - I have a number,but two is ideal one for initial clean and the other for final polish on assembly.Keep them washed and store in a plastic container when not in use.Do not just toss in a draw.

The suction 'pens' that you can buy are ideal for handling elements as are lint free gloves.

However my most useful 'tool' is a small positive pressure box.My first was just a large cardboard box with a cylinder type vacuum cleaner BLOWING air through a piece of cooker extraction hood filter material.A small laboratory fume cupboard with reverse air flow,if you like.I now have a purpose built one made from opal acrylic - doubles as a macro lightbox.

The box will stop the bits of microscopic detritus that ones body sheds all the time, from settling on the element as they are assembled.

As stated patience is the key.Always check before you screw in retaining rings or similar,by shining a light through the loose assembly.I find one of those small but powerful LED torches ideal for checking during assembly.

Some may say that this is over the top,but many a lens has been opened to remove one or two obvious specks and on inspection after the clean has been found to be full minute dust particles.Been there done that. So I try to remove all the problems at source,and the solution is not difficult or expensive.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration