Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 gritty focusing/lo... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Yashica Electro 35 gritty focusing/loose focus ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hal Landvoigt

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked up an inexpensive Electro 35 that initially seemed to be in good condition. Unfortunately after about an hour of use, the focusing ring became very stiff to turn and felt gritty or almost like metal on metal grinding.

I loosened the three tiny slotted screws that secure the focusing ring to whatever internal mechanism it turns. Unfortunately the difference between loose and too loose is very small and so now the focusing ring is completely loose on the lens and I can't seem to figure out how to re-affix the focus ring. I can't seem to find the correct place where the screws should go to enable the focusing ring to adjust the lens focus.

Am I FUBAR? Or is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

Hal

charlie

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you Google Roger Provins website you can find two references to manuals for your camera. I didn't wade through them in detail but one or the other may show the info you need. Good luck.

Hal Landvoigt

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I've got the manual, it doesn't mention much. I've also gotten some advice about re-aligning the focus ring. Once this is done, does anyone have advice for how best to clean up the coarse feeling of the movement? A little alcohol into the focus ring?

dej

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an Electro with the same problem. Unfortunately, after doing some research online, I found that the problem is with the helicoid and the camera has to be disassembled to fix it. Search the Yashica forum at rangefinderforum.com and you'll find a couple of threads about this problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration