Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4 shutter curtain/ribbons dimen... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zorki 4 shutter curtain/ribbons dimensions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

miket

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know what the dimensions are for the shutter curtains and ribbons used in the Zorki 4? I've got a pile of parts here-enough to make one camera-but I need to rebuild the shutter assembly from scratch first. The curtains are entirely gone, but at least I can see where they were attached to the drum and rollers. I don't want to have to breakdown one of my working Zorki's to measure the shutter.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The long curtain is about 100mm x 32mm. The short curtain is about 75mm x 32mm. The ribbons are about 100mm (x 3mm wide). Do you need shutter curtain cloth & ribbons? I have it if you do...also I have double sided pressure sensitive adhesive (industrial/auto grade) which will make this easier, faster and more accurate.

Jon

miket

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I already have the cloth and ribbons, thanks for suggesting though. I was planning to glue the assembly up, but the double sided adhesive sounds interesting and a lot easier to use. I might want to take you up on that. I also need to fabricate some shutter laths too-I was going to use 0.25 x.026 inch brass strips for stock, and am planning to reduce the stock in width to match the ones in my working Zorki's. If this is a bad idea for whatever reason please let me know.

dave

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On your laths, you might check a local hobby shop and see if they carry carbon fiber sheets for model building.Incredibly light, stiff, and tough. I havent tried it but aim to when I rebuild one.Might also help keep the noise down a bit?

miket

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heh, didn't think about carbon fiber and I've built quite a few model planes over the years. Yes, that stuff would work but it's a bit nasty to work with. It would be interesting to rebuild a nearly 50 year old Soviet camera with something like that though. A blend of the old and new.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mike.
Sounds fine to me. As for the lath, if you change the wiper blades in your auto, you can save the thin stainless strips which run along the side of the rubber wiper (for rigidity). Those are often just the right size. Brass is ok, too. If you have a way to alter the thickness of common Formica countertop laminate, that material will also work. You can usually get a free sample at a hardware store. If you find you need any more shutter cloth, what I have is suitable for cameras needing the thin cloth (Leica, early Minolta Leica copies, Fujicas, Olympus, etc) as it is .0065" thick...this being thinner than other stuff out there by a nice margin. On Soviet cameras, this means you can run it at a lower spring tension and make the shutter a little more well-mannered (smoother and quieter, and I think with less tendency to bounce). Another hint...install the new cloth with the fabric side facing the lens and the vulcanized side facing the film. The coefficient of drag drops by a notable factor, and this will also let you drop the spring tension a bit. If you need some of the pressure sensitive adhesive, please click my name & e:mail me.

Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration