Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

AE-1 Cleaning focussing screen? and f... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » AE-1 Cleaning focussing screen? and foam light seal? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking over a nice cheapie AE-1 off ebay, the focussing screen seems to have a streak on it as if it were cleaned with something, and also the light seal is gone, just a black goo where it once was, where can i get that stuff?> it seems easy enough to replace, can anyone help me or point me in the right direction on either of these two things/??

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Mike. Maybe I can help you on both counts. I can send you a light seal kit with everything you need to re-seal your AE-1 and 5 more cameras just like it for $6 (free shipping in the USA and only 80 cents to any other country in the entire world except for georgeous Canada..and that is 60 cents). I can also send you a set of specific instructions I have written detailing the correct and complete re-sealing of the AE-1 with images (via E:mail in a pdf file). How's that? To see the kit, please follow this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30038&item=7559356168
Best regards,
Jon

Stuart Willis

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As to the focusing screen.
These are acrylic. If the screen is marked then such will have been imparted from inside the mirror-box. Someone has probably tried to clean it with goodness knows what.
The chances of restoring it are next to zero.
Better to live with the imperfection because even if you could procure a pristine replacement focusing screen, the installation of such on an AE-1 is veritable nightmare. Replacing it is not a proposition.
You say "it seems easy enough to replace".
Tha fact is you cannot can access unless by extensive stripdown.
It is near impossible.

Mike

Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 04:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your responses! As far as easy to replace, I meant the foam seals! And I will be ordering the kit from you, Jon, as soon as I can.

Ed

Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I could be that the streak is from the deterioted foam shock pad. Try isopropyl (not rubbing) alcohol on a Qtip--GENTLY.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration