Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cocking ring lube? seiko shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Cocking ring lube? seiko shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vincent Martin

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 01:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the cocking ring (held between the shutter housing and the retaining piece) does not slide properly and lags the shutter. Tightening down the retaining piece as little as possible is not helping. Does this need some sort of lube? I did thouroughly clean these surfaces so there is none on there right now. WHat should I use? I do not think that the retaining ring is supposed to tighten down on the cocking ring but it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 05:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should check whether the cocking ring is plane. Sometimes it is somewhat warped due to excessive force on the cocking lever. You can also try to sand the inner circumference a bit, this finally made one of my Moskva shutters run again.

If there is mechanical binding between two parts greasing does not help too much, first you have to remove the cause of binding.

vincent martin

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, i think maybe the little spring in there is not supposed to be able to pull this ring around, and a little friction there is normal. We will see when i put it back together. Mamiya said there is little lube in this old shutter. I think that is not the problem. thanks

Robert

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's the Mamiya TLR we're talking about, I worked on one years ago that the cocking ring had worn a groove into the shutter housing tube.
The cure was to stone the burrs off and fill the groove with wax - a silicone wax lube for zoom lens guides, Losoid 5057/AE was used.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration