Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss 521 / 2 firing button will not ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Zeiss 521 / 2 firing button will not trip shutter. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

W knapp

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Zeiss 521 / 2 that will not fire the shutter. I can see that at the end of the firing button there is a thick round wire at a 90 degree angle that appears to have come unconnected from a long piece of metal that acts as a cam that turns and trips the shutter. My problem is that I don't know how to take this area of the camera apart so as to put this part of the firing button back together.

mike kovacs

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The double exposure interlock is working allows you to push the button down?

If so, is the button moving the long metal bar that actuates the shutter release lever?

Does the shutter fire when you cock it and use your finger to trip the shutter release lever?

W Knapp

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The double exposure interlock works perfect.

Pushing the firing button also makes the metal 90 degree angled bar move.

The shutter works perfectly when I manualy trip it.

The problem is that the 90 degree angled bar is not connected to the metal cam which activates the shuter trip. And I do not know how to reconnect them or take the camera apart to fix it.

Paolo Amedeo

Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have one in my hands right now. However the mechanism is basically identical to the Russian "Moskva" series... I have just checked on one of mine and all the levers are basically to the body. The same is true for the brace attached to the door (the one that holds shutter and lens).
I am afraid that you would find the same on your camera... If you cannot unscrew the brace from the door, you should better try your best reconnecting the rod with long tweezers, while the door is half open...
Otherwise, the only alternative I know, is to detach the bellow from the back and disassemble the levers while the door is closed....
...Useless to say that detaching the bellow (it is also glued to the frame!!!), you risk to cause damages and you have relatively few chances that, at the end of the process, the camera would still be light-tight!

Paolo

W Knapp

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your suggestions. I modified your idea a bit and popped the whole cam out of the camera. Repositioned the 90 degree angle piece stuck the cam in, in the correct position at the camera body end of the cam and then, at the lens end, pressed the cam in completely using my wifes boney fingers and a long thin screwdriver as my fingers are to flabby to fit in the limited space. Plenty of lighting is a must. The camera is now in perfect working order. ------ Thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration