Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Isolette II focusing Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Isolette II focusing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lauri Kapari

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings,

I just got an Agfa Isolette II that seems to be some kind of a special version. It has a leather bellows, a solinar 4.5/85 and a 1/500 Compur rapid.
The problem is that the front lense element seems to be somehow out of placement. I checked the infinity focus following Rick's instructions and beautiful Dali-like drawings and found out that the infinity focus indeed seems to be slightly off. Even more worrying was that changing the focus from infinity to 1m didn't seem to have any effect. I have read somewhere that sometimes the lens element may be stuck and the focusing consequently doesn't work. Could this be the case with my camera, and if so, what should I do with it? Does dealing with a Solinar bring some new aspects to the possible repair operation compared to an Apotar Isolette?

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are no major differences between repairing a Solinar lens and an Apotar lens. As you can see from lens diagrams the Solinar just has a cemented rear element while the Apotar has a single rear element. The mechanical design is identical.

As you mentioned it may happen that the focussing helicoid is so terribly frozen that you may unscrew the whole front cell when trying to focus. Since the thread of the front cell has much smaller pitch, and since the two front cell lenses have longer focal length than the front lens element alone the effect on 'focussing' will be much less than when focussing correctly with the front lens element alone.

I found that applying hot air with a hot air gun will loosen the gummed grease in no time. I found this after applying every solvent I could find without any results for an hour or so. The hot air gun solved the problems in a few minutes.

For further details on fixing an Isolette, see

www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk

Concerning the 'special version', the Solinar/Compur combo was not sold too often but it is far from being very rare. In most cases this combo comes on Isolette III. If you find a leather bellows (with embossed surface) instead of the ***** (censored) original shiny bellows maybe it has been replaced before. I have run across one or two Isolettes with non-original bellows, too.

Scott

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you find that you are unable to get a sharp image at the focal plane, whether at infinity or any other setting, then there's another possibility you might check.

A mistake which I myself have made is putting the rear lens in upside-down. That makes it impossible to get a focused image.

Lauri Kapari

Posted on Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the tips. I removed the screw/knob that sets the focus boundaries, and sure enough, the whole front cell screws right off.

Marco

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the identical problem with a Agfa folder a few months back. The grease set so hard that the elements needed to be heated in the oven at it's lowest setting....I then took two strips of rubber from an old inner tube and used two hose clamps to get a better grip on the two groups to be separated. I still ended up using pliers to grip the two separate elements....

Marco

martin pickrell

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 05:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have just bought a Super Isolette in beautiful condition except that focusing ring is frozen. Can the heat treatment suggested by Winfried be used without disassembly of the lens/shutter etc.? I hope so as the disassembly of a camera in such beautiful condition is daunting. Thanks,

Martin

Lauri Kapari

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The heating treatment didn't work for me. Nothing seemed to work at first. I had to dip the whole front lense element in ethanol (front lense downwards, just enough ethanol for it to reach the helicoid) for about 24 h. That did the trick.
The infinity adjustment wasn't as simple as I thought it would be, since the adjustment was slightly off even when the front element was as far in as it could go. I had to unscrew the rear lense for about one third of a turn or so, to get the infinity correct. Rather strange thing really, but it seems that the camera had seen some less than professional tinkering before (other than by me, that is...).
As for Martin's question, I can't say if heating the whole camera would do damage, but if the front lense assembly screws off easily, then I'd do it. It doesn't require medling with the shutter.

Jan Bernhardtz

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did it the other way around. Put the camera in the freezer for some days. I actually forgot about it. Three days later I took my Isolette III with an excellent Solinar out of the freezer and managed to loosen the gummed up grease.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration