Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic 9 Shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta Hi-Matic 9 Shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott Stillman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never worked on a camera before but I just received a Hi-Matic 9 that did not work on arrival. After rewinding and pressing the shutter a few hundred times, the timing on the shutter started working. I then built a spanner from a scraper and removed the front element. The shutter blades were stuck but after some patient cleaning, I got them to open. Then the aperture started working too.

The shutter timing works (even the self-timer) exept B which seems to be about 1/4 second.

The aperture works and I can manually open the shutter blades but when I press the shutter release button, the blades do not open on their own.

What is my next step?

Scott Stillman

Posted on Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to mention, the battery compartment has a little corrosion. I tried the Wein replacement battery that works in my 124G, but it did not get the meter going. Does the camera need the battery to have the shutter function even in manual mode?

Roman Dubravsky

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Himatic 9 is not battery dependent. Shutter is mechanical. In my opinion shutter and selftimer need next cleaning. Not only blades but whole assembly.
DO NOT USE A BRUTE FORCE TO SELFTIMER LEVER! Selftímer as well as shutter mechanics are similar in size to wristwatch clockwork!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration