Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electro 35 shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Electro 35 shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tony

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up an Electro 35 with a rotted pad, which I have replaced. The shutter works OK now, except that it appears to over-expose in the middle of the speed range.

I took a test film and the pictures inside the handhend range came out OK, as did the exposures 3 or 4 stops slower than the handheld range. Only the ones 1 or two stops slower than the handheld range seem overexposed.

Does anyone have a guess what might be causing this please?

There is brief whirring squeaking noise when the lens closes on long exposures. Is that normal or is that perhaps connected to the problem?

Paolo Amedeo

Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tony,
I am honestly a bit confused about your explanation therefore I will ask you a couple of questions.
1) Have you compared the light meter readings with another camera (or an external light meter)?
2) Have you tried shooting several frames at the same subject with different time / diaphragm combinations?
3) Have you checked if the diaphragm is closing properly?

My apologies if some of those questions seem a bit stupid... However from your short description of the problem, I have the impression that the diaphragm stays open: indoor too little light, camera probably tested with diaphragm completely open or so; outdoor, the fast speeds requires the diaphragm quite open whereas medium speed require it to be close.... ...Therefore if it doesn't close, you overexpose...

Does it make it make sense?

Paolo

tony

Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paolo

Thanks for answering. I'm a bit miffed about the problem too :)

The Electro 35 has an automatic stepless shutter, so it's not possible to easily check the meter or shutter speeds against another camera.

As far as I can see the diaphragm is fine.

I tried taking several scenes at different diaphragm settings. The pictures at 1.7, 2.8 are OK, as are ones with longer exposures at 8, 16. It's the ones in the middle that over-exposure.

Its quite clear that the shutter is shutting at a range of different speeds for about 1/500 to several seconds.

I'm wondering whether there are different electronic shutter speed control systems for different speed ranges, and maybe one is malfunctioning?

Alternatively. Perhaps the shutter is sticking slightly on exposures longer than say 1/30? (but not for the fastest speeds) Presumably, the overexposure would be less noticeable the longer the shutter-speed.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter speed control system is identical for all aperture setting. The aperture ring has a slide contact which slides over a bank of resistors, telling the shutter circuitry which aperture is selected. These resistors build a timing circuit together with the meter cell. I.e., exposure time is determined by both aperture setting and (light dependent) resistance of the CdS cell.

There is also circutry for the indicator lamps but this works almost independent from the exposure time control, the lamps simply indicate shutter speeds longer than 1/30 or shorter than 1/500 respectively.

My best guess would be that the slide contacts under the aperture ring have some dirt. You can easily remove it by rubbing them gently with electronic contact cleaner (do NOT use WD40 or similar, use contact cleaner spray from the electronic components supplier).

tony

Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 05:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Winfried. That makes sense, I just checked my test film and 5.6, 8 and 11 were the only apertures that didn't expose properly.

By the way, when I replaced the pad I had to unattach then resolder a white wire that ran from the lens assembly to the body under the viewfinder. Knowing the standard of my soldering, could that be the culprit?

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 06:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I remember correctly there are only two wires connecting the aperture resistor board to the rest of the circuitry. If it was one of these wires you did not solder correctly it would affect ALL aperture settings.

BTW I don't think that the soldering skills of most of the people assembling the E35 were too high.

tony mcnicol

Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Took the lens out and had a go at cleaning the contacts. Took a test film, but not sure if the camera is working OK or not. Here is a link to an index of the film.

www.tonymcnicol.com/blog/archives/ntest.jpg

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here please? Looks to me like something happens between 4 and 5.6

tony

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Help! Have hit a dead end here and would be grateful for any suggestions from Electro 35 owners.

WernerJB

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Tony, I have never encountered a problem like yours on any one of my cameras, and I cannot find a sensible explanation for the over-/underexposure problem in your pictures either, sorry. But maybe somebody else knows what has caused all the fuss.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration