Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kodak Synchro Rapid 800 Shutter Disas... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Kodak Synchro Rapid 800 Shutter Disassembly - Kodak Tourist II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Any suggestions on the disassembly of a Kodak Synchro Rapid 800 Shutter? I've so far removed the front element, but am now confronted with a very tight secondary element housing (with female helical). Searching thru past posts, as I understand it, these un-thread off via special spanner. Short of this special spanner how is it done? I read Winfried's post on NOT using a plier otherwise deformation of the helical results (thanks Winfried - was thinking about it before I read your post!). I have tried putting a heavy rubber O-ring on it the outside of it and turning by hand - with no luck. (assuming it is a standard right hand thread). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Will

Ed

Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kodak made several different internal expanding collet wrenches used for this purpose. As mentioned, you have to be careful using outside gripping devices (circular clamp wrench comes to mind) for fear of collapsing the threaded portion. If you can get the focus scale ring off and the diameter of the first element is the same,you could put it in and then use a friction clamp type wrench--you can make from plastic, phenolite, etc.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one of these, and I never did manage to get it disassembled. When all attempts at that failed, I DID manage to drip some lighter fluid into it at the cocking lever and get it to run well. If you try this, do it as a last resort like I did and be careful not to overdo it - if you screw it up it stays screwed.

: ) =

Will

Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ed and Rick. Ed - intriging idea on removing the focus ring and using it that way. I'll have to think on that some more. Rick, I already got Ronsonal and the associated flushings all over the internal glass - so the camera is a display piece until I get the thing apart. (But the shutter sure is working well now! :-D)
Will

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration