Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need help with a Prontor SVS shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Need help with a Prontor SVS shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Scott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to fix a camera with a Prontor SVS shutter. I'm stumped as to how to remove the focus helical and front aluminum plate off without damaging it.

Looks identical to the early Super Frankarette, but it doesn't say Franka or Frankarette anywhere, no engraved text on the top. Rather, the leather is stamped with "Reporter" on the front left side. Lens is Ennit 1:2,8. Has two separate lenses in front of the shutter, and a cemented pair behind. Has top-mounted advance lever and unit focusing.

I've removed the shutter from the body, but want to unsolder the sync wires. The helical focusing unit seems a bit loose, but I can't see how to remove of tighten it. I'd like to take it apart without damaging it. Does anyone know how to get that square aluminum front plate off? Or take the focusing unit off?

There's some sort of single narrow access hole in the upper inside of the film chamber. What in there? Thanks!

Rob

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Contina III with the same shutter, but the lens has the interchangeable Contaflex mount. Dan Mitchell has the information for this shutter on his site. http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/prontor/prontor.html Maybe he might have a suggestion.

Scott

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I think this camera is a far simpler camera than the Contina series.

I got the shutter off of the camera and opened without much trouble, but never figured out how to get the focus helical out of the body. I wanted to grease it cause it's a bit stiff. But because I'm eager to try it out, I decided it was usable as it is.

In case anyone out there is curious, this seems to be a cheaper version of the Super Frankarette, and I assume it might have been made for some department store chain. It has same two windows as the Super Frankarette, but no actual RF mechanism (I'm assuming the Super Frankarette has a RF mech.). It doesn't say Franka or Frankarette anywhere on the camera, although the SVS shutter is marked as usual.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration