Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Flash speedlite 199A - NiMh batterys ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Flash speedlite 199A - NiMh batterys dangerous ?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Etienne Namur

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I' want to use a speedlite 199A flash with a Canon FTb QL . Some peoples said me it could be dangerous to use Ni-Mh battery in this flash , it could burn ......
What do you think of this ?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have used NiMh batteries in both A and T series Canon Speedlites with no problems.The only battery sensitive Canon kit I have experience of is the MA Drive unit, when fitted with the AA battery pack.The use of NiMh batteries in this pack can lead to the motor burning out - but this is a function of how the drive operates when the roll is fully exposed.The motor is held in a powered up, stalled condition until the rewind is operated.Thus with high capacity cells everything can get hot. - not really a battery problem.

As long as the voltage is correct and I do not think you will have any problems with AA NiMh batteries, because the voltage is the same.This is not true of the CR-V3 NiMh batteries which can have a voltage of 3.7 volts instead of the normal 3 volts, but these are from the 'Digital' age and not of concern here.

Etienne Namur

Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank for your fast response :-)
A friend has burned two flashs from A séries and each time he used Ni-Mh batterys , it's why i was a little bit affraid .
But I think it was because this flash have not been used during many years they become fragiles .

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not use the 2000/2300 range on old flash units.If the electronics are a bit iffy; Instead of the batteries heating up and loosing power, the higher output ones cook the circuit before failing - if you see what I mean.

Well this is what I have found on units that people have asked me to look at. No doubt somebody will have all the scientific facts.

Stuart Willis

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is seldom any problem with using low reistance cells with flashguns (ie: NiCads, NiMh and similar).
The reason why many flashgun manufacturers caution against the use of such is nothing to do with voltage or physical compatibiity. The danger is the possibility of incorrect insertion as with the contingent risk of short-circuiting. In this case an enormous instant current flows. Enough indeed to burn a hole through your hand - let alone destroy the flashgun.

Hope this post saves someone from disaster !

Stuart Willis

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration