Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica R3 metering mode switch wiring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Leica R3 metering mode switch wiring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nikos

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here I am again with the Leica R3. I got the diaphragm ring from Leica in record time, installed it, adjusted the length of the cord, and put the camera back together. I was unhappy with the metering mode switch because the light meter needle would become jumpy on my nudging the switch. Once switched it was OK in either position. So I pulled the middle and right covers and unseated the switch so I could give it a good rinse with my contact cleaner without contaminating the pentaprism. Having the factory manual I did not keep notes of the wiring and when a couple of wires got disconnected I discovered that I could not decipher the schematics in the manual. The first wire was the single purple wire and I re-soldered it to position 1m. Having done that I discovered that a yellow wire was disconnected also and from its disposition it seems to emanate from the end of this little board. Please help me and I promise to be more careful next time. Needless to say I have mapped the thing now.

Nikos

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After a good night's sleep it dawned on me to open my other R3. The purple wire goes to position 1b, and the yellow wire goes to position 2m. Now I have photographed and documented the whole thing, so if you run into trouble at that spot let me know.

Henry

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before I got the R3 service manual (or even the schematic from Leica) I started making my own wiring diagram...in color! It isn't complete--and may not be accurate! Any corrections you may find would be appreciated. I drew it in FastCAD7.

I'll attach it to a private email to you. I converted the cad drawing to a bmp.

Henry

Henry

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have several photos too if you need any...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration