Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Electro 35 GS, shutter doesn't open f... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Electro 35 GS, shutter doesn't open fully « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

tony

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 04:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Picked up an Electro 35GS at a flea market here in Tokyo. Have put a battery in it, and the electrics seem to be working OK.

The only problem is that the shutter doesn't seem to quite open fully. On bulb I can see the shutter blades get about as far as aperture 2.8, very slowly open a couple of millimeters more, then stop. If I hold the camera against the light with the aperture at 1.7 I can clearly see the outline of the blades.

Has anyone seen this problem before please?

WernerJB

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I understand you correctly, almost everyone has, as blades opening slowly or a bit more if the camera is operated at higher temperatures indicates they probably need a thorough cleaning.
Access to the blades requires removal of at least the front lens, which is sometimes somewhat disappointing in the case of older elctros, as often only the first front element screws out instead of the lens group. You have got to be extra careful not to unhook the aperture blades when wiping the shutter blades (believe me I know why I am saying this!), so if you use cotton swabs do not push too hard !

tony

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 05:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks . . . sorry for the obvious question. First time for this problem (and repair) for this complete novice, so I'll be careful!

What do you mean by the "lens group" please? I've already unscrewed the front lens to give it a bit of a clean. (the rear surface had some horrific looking mould which astounded me by completly disappearing with a single wipe of the tissue :) ).

I can get to the shutter now, but do you recommend disassembling further?

WernerJB

Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes, when removing the front half of the lens, just the first glass element comes off, in that case you cannot reach the blades, but this has obviously not happened in your case. Further dismantling is advised if you aim at cleaning the blades' backside, which often is also full of grime. Follow this link and decide for yourself if you want to go any deeper, good luck ! http://personal.inet.fi/koti/picnet/electro/page_01.htm

tony

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 06:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi . .put the shutter blades through several cleaning sessions. The shutter still doesn't quite open fully, but it's better than it was. Took a roll of film today though and camera seems to work fine. (Looks like it underexposes by 1/3 to half a stop or so at the largest aperture - but I can live with that)

Thanks for the help and advice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration