Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon 50mm 1.4 FD breech lock - iris ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon 50mm 1.4 FD breech lock - iris won't work! Pls Help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

D D

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried everything with this 50mm 1.4 and I can't get it to open to close on the barrel. I have a 1.8 50mm and it works fine with the breech lock, so it does work with another lens, but not with the 1.4 - any ideas?!??!?!

rick

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what is it that's not working: the iris or the breech lock?

Doug Wilson

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the aperture lever in the manual lock position (to the right in it's slot)?
Also, oil on the blades will cause them to stick fully open.

D D

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. The iris is either stuck open or closed (depending on where the aperature level (AP) is). If I move it counter clockwise into the locking position, the iris is closed and remains closed. If AP is left alone (not locked) the iris is completely open, but will not manually open and close either way.
2. The breech is fine, the iris is not working.
3. The blades look ok. When I move the AP into the lock position (just before), the blades close nicely, except, ehem, they stay closed.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With lock in place, does the iris follow the aperture setting ring? ie. Can you correctly set the aperture manually with lock in place, when lock is in 'off' position the iris will not move manually when lens is off camera.

When on camera what happens when you operate 'stop down' lever? You have too many variables at the moment for me to pin point the exact mode of failure. An important point, has the lens been got at - not another eBay bargain I mean! I have the manuals so reassembly should be quite simple if that is the problem.

Doug Wilson

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, sounds like it was re-assembled incorrectly. When you operate the breech OFF of the camera, does the aperture signal pin move along with the breech ring?
If it does not, you'll need to perform surgery.
To operate breech off of camera either use an old mount ring from a junk camera body or use a small screwdriver (or equivalent) to disengage breech ring lock (next to the positioning pin on back of lens).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration