Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollieflex 2.8 c not winding forward Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Rollieflex 2.8 c not winding forward « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil Australia

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I recently inherited a rolleiflex 2.8, serial #1442492 which I think dates it to 1953 and makes it a C ?.
Anyway, I have never owned or used a rolli before, just the regular Pentax and Canon, but I have managed to work out it's functions pretty well. It was equipped with a Rollekin 35 mm adaptor which I have removed so that I can use the 120 size film in it. I have tested all the various shutter speeds and they seem to be fine and the shutter action is firm. I have since loaded a roll of film to give it a test run but am having problems with the winding on. With the camera open and using an exposed film, I wound it on and it stopped at the right spot showing 1 in the window. I pressed the shutter and wound to the next one showing 2 and locking. pressed the shutter again and it repeated and all seems fine. However, when I close the back and try and run through the shooting winding procedure again, the number does not move on in the window as I wind and the winder is not locked to each frame and just keeps on winding and would go to the end of the film without a stop!!? This has really got me stumped. Anyone got any suggestions please.
Thanks Phil , Australia.

phil

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 03:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well several hours have past since my initial listing and I have managed to work out that the problem is on the roller that the film is fed between during loading. It seems that when the camera is closed the roller is pushed up tight against the film. The Fuji film that I am using is not thick enough to activate the frame counter. When I place between the rollers a piece of folded card that is slightly thicker than the film, it functions fine and the counter works and it locks at each frame! So the roller pressure has to be adjusted, how do I do that anyone please?

Wayne

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil

If the roller needs to be adjusted I can copy some pages from a repair manual to help you (I'm in Australia). You have to remove the wind side panel, lossen a screw and adjust a cam to set the correct clearance.

It seems odd that it worked properly with the back open. As you mention, the back has to be closed to push the rollers together in order for the sensor mechanism to work. Normally if you have the back open you would have to push the little lever of the roller meachanism while winding the film to get it to work - is that what you did? It's possible that the mechanism is set correctly, but is just a bit gummed up - especially if it hasn't been used for a long time. It might be worth trying it a few more times before you decide to start taking it apart to see if it starts working.

Anyhow, let me know if you want the info on how to adjust the mechanism. It's not too hard, but you do have to remove the leather on the side which is a bit of a pain. Once you've got the side cover off there are lots of bits which can fall out of place, but with a bit of care it's not too bad.

Cheers
Wayne

phil

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wayne, thanks for your response. No, I never pushed the lever down when winding with it open. I did close the back with a slightly thicker piece of card than the film paper, placed between the two rollers, leaving a half full spool in the top roller just to activate the counter wheel. Doing this solves the problem, when I wind it on it goes to the next frame and locks and I can repeat this right the way to twelve. The problem arises when I put in a regular 120 Fugi film, it seems to be too thin to activate the counter, even when I have wound on to the photo film paper. It would be good to get the info on how to adjust the mechanism, I am a clock repairer (amongst other things) and so have reasonable mechanical nouse. Thanks for your trouble, Phil, Brisbane.

Phil

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have now managed to remove the wind side plate (without damaging any leather) and have exposed the works, aaahh, now what. It would be good to get the info on how to adjust that cam.
Thanks Phil.

Wayne

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 05:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil

Sorry, I haven't checked back for a little while. I just emailed the relevant pages for the adjustment. I'm in Brisbane too - let me know if you need any more help. If you can repair clocks you should have no trouble with a Rollei!

Cheers
Wayne

Phil.

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wayne, many thanks for forwarding that information, very good of you. I will get stuck into it later today.
Regards, Phil.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration