Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM 10 film advance lever stuck Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » OM 10 film advance lever stuck « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

freakyb

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 02:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi, i just got this OM10 SLR which has been sitting in my parents attic for 30 years and the film advance lever is stuck. it also wont snap the shutter :x can anyone tell me if i could fix it myself?

Mike

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 07:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some old OMs and they won't fire or do anything until they have batteries, not sure if this applies to the 10, but easy to try!

rick

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That does apply to the OM10.

freakyb

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i put new batteries in, still no go >.<

rick

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the camera has been stored that long, a sticky release magnet is a possibility. Another posibility, particularly if it was stored with a battery in it, is that the main power wire corroded and broke. Either of these might be accessible by removing the baseplate, but I don't have an OM10 here for reference to give you guidance. If the wire has broken off at the battery box, typically you have to replace about 2 inches of wire to get a good repair - in a camera, 2 inches is a long way and will likely require more disassembly.

If the problem is the magnet, the LED lights will come on in the finder but the shutter won't fire. If it's the wire, the LED lights won't come on either.

davep

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first SLR was an OM10. The same problem happened to me eventually. One of the gear shafts in the winder train had sheared. Had to send it away for replacement.

freakyb

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ill bet it was the wire. there were batteries left in it but i was kind of hoping that they hadnt leaked anything into the camera. thanks for all the help guys :D

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration