Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Where to get a Mamiya 1000 DTL shutte... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Where to get a Mamiya 1000 DTL shutter release cable? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vlad

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently aqcuaried almost fully working (with exception of a light meter) Mamiya 1000 DTL which I intend to use for some night photography with long exposures.

A standard cable release I bought got a thread to big to fit into Mamiya's shutter release button, I searched the Internet but couldn't find any mentioning of a 1000 DTL special cable or adaptor. You are the last resort, please help!

Is there any other way to do bulb exposures 8 mins plus without the cable?

Any help greatly appreaciated!

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vladimir,

I am fairly certain that the problem lies with your cable release, not with the camera. The 1000DTL has a standard cable release socket and any correct standard cable release should work.

Did you try another release?

Good luck,

Jan

Vlad

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought the release of the Ebay, its mordern steel type with lock and taper thread. Fits to Vivitar and Pentax, but way to big to go into Mamiya 1000 DTL.

Do Vivitar and Pentax have threads bigger than standard?

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would have thought that it would have had the standard taper thread. However I was just looking at the pictures in the instruction manual and the thread does look a bit 'funny' and the hole looks small. Nothing is said about a special release being required in any of the literature.

Pentax and Vivitar are 'standard' thread. Just a very silly thought, it could be that the hole is tapped with the very end of the tapered tap. This will give a smaller diameter but still be of the correct thread form. Go and look for an older fabric covered release from the 60/70s and see if the thing fits.

My initial thoughts on looking at the pictures in the manual, were that the release must be something like the early Leica type and screw over the button into that fixed collar. Obviously this is not so.

Will

Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Vlad,

I have a 1000 DTL in front of me now and this camera uses a standard cable release. One thought is to make sure there isn't a bit of an old cable release broken off inside the button. I've only ever seen this once - but obviously this would prevent the cable from threading in.

Will

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good thought Will, this must be the answer. The pictures in the manual are just badly lit, you see the bottom of the hole but not the top of the tapered thread - there seems to be a slothead screw that the cable release plunger works against at the bottom of the hole.

A small screwdriver should grip the broken bit enough, so that it can be backed out. Just make sure the blade tip is fairly sharp so that it 'bites' the broken edge.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration