Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

ME Super Foam Rot Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » ME Super Foam Rot « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joe Reynick

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently became more appreciative of the quality of my old ME Super prints, when comparing them those from my new digital camera.

I tried to shoot some new photos, but the mirror stuck in the up position. This happened because the light sealing foam had become a sticky goo. The same problem also occurred near the shutter curtains. My questions are:

- what thickness/type of light sealing foam should be used?
- where else may this problem have occurred in the camera?

Finally, there is a hair visible in the viewfinder. It seems to be in the Fresnel assembly. Any tips on how to remove it?

Thanks for your insghts,

Joe

Pedro O

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I repaired my Pentax KM with a foam kit I bought on ebay. There were all kinds of thickness to choose from inside the kit. I am very happy with the price and quality of the material and I can recommend it.

Also, the shutter blade and mirror box have rubber dampers that might need replacement.

A useful exploded diagram of the me super: http://www.robertstech.com/files/me-s_sm.pdf

Pedro

Jon Goodman

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Joe.
I can send you a kit for $6...free shipping in the USA and no more than 80 cents to mail to any country in the world. I also have written specific instructions for the ME series which I will e:mail you in a virus-free pdf file (even shows how to deal with the little screw in the center of the mirror damper pad. Here is a link to the auctions...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30038&item=7567328024
As for the hair in the viewfinder, it depends on where it is...
Best regards,
Jon

Joe Reynick

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to Jon and Pedro for your help. I ordered the seal kit from Jon, and am actually looking forward to installing it! DIY projects are (usually) a lot of fun. The Pentax ME-Super installation instructions will be helpful as well.

I also downloaded the ME-super repair manual. Great drawing.

All very helpful.

Thanks,

Joe

Alex

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mirror damper foam replacement is just about the easiest job there is. There are several good kits on the market, but I used Jon Goodman's and it does the job perfectly. So easy that I replaced the foam on several of my SLRs whether they needed it or not. Getting the old foam off without letting it drop into any of your camera's important little places is the hardest part.

If the mirror foam has gone, you'll probably also want to look carefully at the light seals to see if they need renewing.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration