Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

A ae-1 is no ae-1p, discovered the ha... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » A ae-1 is no ae-1p, discovered the hard way « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pedro O

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So I open up my Canon AE-1 using a "AE-1 Program" repair manual because the wind shaft is stuck. SNAP! There goes the tungsten wire, of which there was no mention in the ae-1p manual. I am pretty sure many ae-1's have been opened like that. What where the canon designers thinking? "Let's install an easily breakable wire to mess with the camera repair amateur, shall we? -Yeah, that sounds like fun! Fat chance they're gonna find a tungsten wire in their local supermarkets."

So my questions are:

Since the initial plan was to repair the camera instead of destroying it I thought it would be wise to search for a service manual. Does anyone have sketches or a AE-1 repair manual for me or a link maybe? http://www.canonfd.com/choose.htm is where I found the one for the ae-1p. My camera and me would be very grateful.
I hope to discover in the manual how to reattach the booby trap wire. And where the latch for resetting the camera is located, it doesn’t seem to be under the bottom plate.

Does anyone know if this tungsten wire system was used in any other camera's. (fool me twice,...)

Has anyone ever 'MacGyvered' himself a replacement tungsten wire? I figure nylon stretches and cotton breaks easily.

Thanks

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best AE-1 manual is the US National Camera document. I purchased mine off eBay, as I could not find an AE-1 manual of any description as a download. Anyway I would rather pay for a clearly reproduced/scanned manual than use some of the poor free stuff that is available.

Look in the archive for ideas about replacing the tungsten wire. Braided fishing line is one product that can work.

Do not know if other manufacturers used tungsten wire. However the use of some type of 'cord' is a common means of operating devices on opposite ends of cameras.

Michael Linn

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use "Spiderwire Fusion" kevlar fishing line in a 4.5kg test size. Less than $5 and with 137 meters of it, you are set for life! I have used it on a variety of camera brands and models with perfect success.

Pedro O

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're right Glenn, the free manuals out there usually lack clear illustrations. I'm just an amateur however who will prob need the manual 1 time only, so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for looking though.

The tungsten wire snapped where it was connected to the asa dial so I am hoping to reconnect it once I figure out what's its use and how it works. I'm supposing tucking it in a crevice somewhere is not going to result in a working camera, that would be to easy ;)

So after opening up the top I saw the cocking cycle was not completed, preventing a latch from falling in a wind shaft opening. This interrupted the shutter circuit (SW5 in the ae-1p manual).

Holding the camera upside down I fiddled the wind shaft back and forth which loosened the mechanism. What could have caused the wind mechanism to jam? …I don't know. The cogs don't seem worn on first inspection. This is going to have to do for now. Until I find a manual I'm hesitant to open the whole wind mechanism.
Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I read something on the forum about plastic rivets from the black speed dial guard on the top cover breaking of. I’m not sure if one is broken. There is a hole where one of the 6 rivets should be though.

Thanks for the fishing wire tip, it’s nice to have a contingency plan.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael; I keep forgetting that fishing has moved into the kevlar age. I purchased my reel of braided line about 12 years ago and because it worked and there is plenty, have not looked for anything else. I guess Canon would use kevlar line instead of tungsten, if they were designing the AE-1 today.

Pedro; Tungsten wire physically transmits the rotation of the ASA dial to the metering unit and rest of camera mechanism.Camera will not meter if this wire not in place.

There is a ball clutch/drive at bottom of wind shaft. Your description of turning camera upside down could mean that the balls are loose - due to wear or lack of lube and this is the cause of the jam. This unit is same in all A Series, well there may be material spec differences.

Pedro O

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot! I'll use the ae-1p's manual to take it appart now that I know what I am looking for.

rick oleson

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some notes - I don't know if they'll be sufficient but I'll send them to you if you like.

rick : ) =

Pedro O

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That would be very helpful Rick. Go ahead and mail them. The only other documentation I found was this link: http://public.webbox.com/index.asp?p=297718&ls=1 But only 2 of the posted pdf's work. The exploded diagrams here might be useful to someone when putting the camera back together.

Kevin

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The earlier SLR's of the AE-1 vintage usually have specific settings when dis-assembly is required. On the AE-1, the speed dial should be set to 'B'. The asa should be @ 25. There is still a little spring tension left on the wire at this point. By carefully tilting the speed dial as you remove it, you can control that movement w/o damaging the wire.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration