Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Super Isolette- focus ring seized Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Agfa Super Isolette- focus ring seized « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

martin

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just bought a beautiful Agfa Super Isolette in great condition-I suspect little used which led to the focus ring being seized. Is there a way of freeing this without disassembly of lens/shutter etc.? I hope someone can help..

Berk Sirman

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 05:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This site has valuable information about fixing frozen focus rings as well as other repairs on these cameras.

http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/repair/frozenfix.html

Alex

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roland's description is ace, and is the method I followed when I had the same problem. You won't really be able to properly free up the lens without taking it off, as you need to get the old and degraded lubricant off the threads in the lens mount, and flushing only redistributes it and only works for a very short time (not even a day). I was slightly more fortunate in that the two front elements had not stuck together in any of the three or four I've treated, but the basic method of taking out the infinity post to release the lens, and the cleaning out of the old lubricant, was exactly the same. Make sure you take a note of which are the front surfaces of the lenses when you get them out, as I spent ages trying to recalibrate focus only to realise I had put the middle lens in back to front. To re-grease (you don't need much at all), I used a silicon grease I got from an electronics store. Even if you re-grease a lens thread every day of your life, a tube will last you about a century.

My old doctor used to say that ear syringing was his favourite treatment, because it was one of the very few where the patient got immediate and visible relief and he found that most satifying. Maybe not the best analogy, but I think of this kind of job as being the same sort of thing. It's relatively easy to do, and the effects are immediate and striking. When you've got the lens back on, and the focussing is smooth and clean and easy and beautifully 'damped', that is very satisfying indeed.

Mike Kovacs

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh, the infamous Agfa green goo grease. Try heating it a little as that often gets things moving enough to get it apart. Easy enough on a front cell focuser but I haven't had the pleasure to work on a Super Isolette.

With all helicals now, I solvent clean them, then rub with #0000 steel wool, then clean with dishwashing detergent. You have to be super careful is there is no way to get the glass out of elements like on some front cell folders.

Once clean, I relube with a grease of the appropriate visocity, something medium for a helical.

PS expect the bellows to be shot on an Agfa.

martin

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 02:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks all,
I've heated the area gently with a hair dryer (protecting the bellows with thick cloth) This freed the fousing ring and it was reasonably free whilst warm but has become rather too stiff to use once it cooled down. I'll just have to do the job properly with a careful dismantling. I'll practice first with dismantling something less precious.(Mike, the bellows seem in good order) Thanks very much for the help.
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration