Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax 139 shutter squeak or squeal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Contax 139 shutter squeak or squeal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Cheng

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Contax 139 which works fine but the shutter makes a squeal or squeak noise which is annoying. I found an old posting on this forum addressing this. At one point in the instructions, it says to unscrew the shutter button with a rubber stopper or other rubber tool. I can't get mine to unscrew. Does anyone know if it is only the center button that unscrews or is the outside surrounding ring (that has the window for the ASA speed) also supposed to unscrew? Does it unscrew in the normal counter clockwise direction? Thanks

Michael Linn

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's just the center button, Jason. Try cleaning the button and also the rubber tool with alcohol or lighter fluid and try again. If that doesn't work, you can always get it out with a sharp pair of tweezers at the edge of the button, which may leave marks that can be removed with fine sandpaper.

Jason Cheng

Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Michael,

I'll give it another try.

Jason

Jason Cheng

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Michael,

I got the top off and was able to disassemble the camera thanks to the excellent detailed instructions you posted some time back. In my case, I'm not sure if the squeak was coming from the wind side of the mirror box. After I lubricated the various gears on that side and reassembled the camera, it still made the noise but it was less prominent. It sounded like at that point that the sound was coming from the rewind side of the mirror box. Anyway, I opened it back up and lubed both sides. That took care of the squeak but when I reassembled the camera, I must have done something wrong. The exposure compensation dial is somehow messed up. It will only set at 1/4, 1/2, 1 and 2. It will not move to the 4 position. It's night time here and I haven't had a chance to check the actual exposure readings to see if they are off by a stop. Can you tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it?

One other thing I noticed as I was going through the camera is that some of the mirror dampening foam has decomposed and left some sticky foam residue on the bottom edge of the mirror. Can I remove it with a Q tip and isoproply alcohol or will the alcohol damage the mirror?

Thanks so much for your help!

BTW, I found a good thing to remove the shutter button if you don't have a rubber stopper of the correct size handy is one of those foam compressible earplugs!

Jason

Michael Linn

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jason-

As I recall, there are several things stacked under the compensation dial, which you can probably get at by removing only the dial and taking them out. Something is not quite fitting together correctly and it will probably be obvious when you pull it apart and examine it. You may need to push the locking switch forward while you are reassembling it.

Isopropyl is a safe solvent for dissolved mirror foam. But this indicates that the mirror bumper needs to be replaced and also the light seals. Jon Goodman ("interslice" on e-bay) can furnish the correct replacements in one kit with good instructions.

Good luck and stop back if you need more help!

Mike

Jason Cheng

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike,

I was able to reposition the compensation dial. Thanks for the tip on the mirror bumper. I had just ordered a foam replacement kit from Jon Goodman a couple of days ago to seal a light leak on my old Konica T4. He told me the kit had enough material to seal quite a few cameras so I'll replace the foam bumper on my 139 once I get the materials. Thanks again for your help!

Jason

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration