Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

EOS 650 "sticky shutter" help! Genn? ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » EOS 650 "sticky shutter" help! Genn? Anyone??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike B

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got this gem off ebay, $13!!! mint, except the seller said has "sticky" shutter. upon opening the back, I see some "sticky stuff" on the shutter curtains themselves. Seems like too easy to fix. What would be best? denatured alcohol on a soft, soft brush? Please give me some ideas! Jeez, I thought he meant that once in a while the shutter would stick and not fire, this is better, NO??? Thanks in advance, email, or post back!

Will

Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,
I have an EOS Rebel which had the same issue. Although mine had a square Copal type shutter. It seems there is a foam seal inside the camera somewhere that degrades and this black goo gets on the shutter blades. I used Naptha (lighter fluid) on a Q-tip to initially remove the stuff. You work the Q-tip GENTLY on the shutter blades (both back and front of shutter) to remove the goo. It's important to be very gentle as the blades are easily bent if you over do it. Change the Q-tip often - use plenty. Fire the camera in between cleanings. You'll find more goo will come down. Repeat the cleaning until no more goo comes down and the shutter is clean. Please note: DO NOT FIRE THE CAMERA WHILE CLEANING! If you do, the Q-Tip will get entangled in the shutter and most likely ruin the camera. Make sure the camera is switched OFF while cleaning, to avoid accidently firing the camera. I hope this works for you. It did for me. If you find that the goo doesn't want to come off with the lighter fluid, you will have to use another solvent which is much more risky to use. However try the lighter fluid first. Then see. I hope this helps.

Will

Mike

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I did it! I actually used the Ronsonol, but after about a half hour, it still wasn't making it. I used Denatured alcohol, and it worked like a champ, it looks brand new! Hmm, now I need to know if it works.... gotta buy some EF lenses.... (this is my first foray away from FD!)
Thanks!!!

Mike

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also found this article...
http://photonotes.org/articles/oily-shutter/

Bill

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course, you've still got to replace that damper cushion...

Mike

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's funny, but the damper must have been replaced, it looks fine! And so far so good, seems to be working great!
Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration