Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE1 asa ring won't move Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Canon AE1 asa ring won't move « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

B Walsh

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't move the ASA ring on my Canon AE1. It has moved in the past and I use this camera fairly often, but usually with the same ISO film speeds. This time, I want to change it, and I find that I can't move the dial when I depress the release button. Any suggestions?

doug

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have something wrong here, the Canon does not have a button to adjust the ASA dial, you pull the dial up to adjust it.
The dial should pull up to adjust, sometimes it will move the shutter speeds at the same time.

B Walsh

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Doug. However, we're talking about 2 different cameras here I think. I have a Canon AE1 Program. Sorry for the confusion. It has an ASA dail with a button on the side that you depress so as to be able to turn the dial and set different speeds. The button depresses but I cannot turn the ring.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suspect that you have got some dirt in the lock mechanism.Remove rewind knob and then the circlip that is holding the ASA cover on.Lift cover and remove the wave washer under same.You can now remove the ASA dial.

Note that for ease of removal the manual states that you should set ASA 100. In your case this may present a small problem - just remember what ASA is set and ensure that you reset dial to this after cleaning, so you can replace correctly.

Do not remove anything else below the dial or you will have to reset the whole ASA mechanism.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration