Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ikonta 521 sticky shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Ikonta 521 sticky shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Roach

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a very nice little ikonta 521. It is a 6x4.5, with a novar lens and kilo shutter.

The lens and shutter are sticky with old oil. My problem is removing the lens and cleaning the shutter. The front and back lens elements are easy to remove but the center one is a mystery. After removing the front element the inside element seems to be held in with a spring or washer that I can't see how to remove.

And. whats the best way to clean the shutter? The slow speed are sticking, the self timer is too weak, and the fast speeds stick in the cold. There seems to be a LOT of lubricant in the shutter that is causing all these problems.

Will a couple of good soaks in lighter fluid fix this? and will I need to relubricate anything afterwards? What lubicant should be used and where?

Thanks
Kevin

mike kovacs

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've worked on a 520 6x4.5 and a few 521/16 6x6. Are you certain that the middle cell simply isn't screwed into the shutter? Some models have slots or holes for a wrench, others do not which makes it tough because they are often frozen in there tight.

Try using a rubber pad to get it out by gripping the outside of the cell.

Your shutter realistically needs to have the two halves separated and the leaves cleaned individually and reassembled. A bit of a job for the unexperienced. Just flood clean the aperture when you get it free, provided that you are certain the blades are metal.

mike kovacs

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.davidrichert.com/zeiss_521_16_compur_rapid_shutter.htm

see here for more of what you're in for. I wrote this a while back with a beginner in mind

Kevin Roach

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mike

Exactly what I was looking for. You did a lot of nice work on that site. Bravo!

Alex

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used Mike's detailed instructions on the Ikonta I picked up from Ebay, whose seller was rather optimistic in his description of the shutter and lens condition. It was several hours work (I was nervous, as it was the most work I'd attempted so far), but oh so worthwhile for what I got out at the end of it -- a little peach of a camera that is now a joy to use. Do pay attention to his caveat about the orientation of the shutter housing once you separate the two halves. That's the one bit I was too hasty on, and all the diaphragm blades popped right off straight down onto the table before I knew what was happening. Fortunately for me they 'kept' their orientation, so that I could work out the original positions relative to each other.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration