Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Arette 1B Prontor SVS and cocking cha... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Arette 1B Prontor SVS and cocking challenge « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Wilson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a handsome 1962 Optina 1b (Arette 1b?). The shutter is intermittent.
I have small screwdrivers, a lot of patience, and no repair experience. Symptom:

Slow speeds work maybe 3 of 4 times...sometimes one needs to crank the advance
once more to get the shutter fully cocked. 1/60 through 1/300 work only a
quarter of the time, requiring an extra crank as well. The shutter is a Prontor SVS.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Should I try to repair it? How might I
disassemble the body and what should I test?

Regards,

Mark

Scott

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a great site for info and tips:

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/prontor/prontor.html

I had the same problem with my Arette 1D, also with the SVS shutter. Most likely, you won't have to go any further than removing the cam plate. Use a few drops of naptha on the slow speed gears to free them up. Clean the blades, too. The lenses will have to come out, and an adjustable lens spanner is the best tool for that.

Mark Wilson

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I subsequently found the Mitchell site via this forum...what a
stunner of a resource, since bookmarked.

Thanks for the advice...most encouraging.

With the wind lever off, I see one screw (doubles as an anchor
for the wind lever return spring); there is another on the
back of the top platform/cell housing. Must I take off this
top platform?

Or do I unscrew the ones inside the light chamber and pop
the front lens housing out somehow? Sorry, very new to all
of this.

Regards,

M.

P.S. If I can fix camera problems, there will be a whole
world of magical instruments available to me that languish,
inoperative, in collectible shops.

Scott

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your camera have a bottom-mounted advance/wind lever like mine?

Actually, I don't think you have to remove the lever or the top cover at all. I think your problem is in the shutter itself, and not in the advance mechanism. First make sure the shutter is cocking and releasing properly, before dealing with possible problems in the advance mechanism. If there ARE problems in the advance mechanism, then you may have to remove the shutter from the body in order to clean it properly. But most likely you won't have to remove it.

To clean the shutter and blades, you do however have to remove the lens glass from the front, and I prefer to also remove the rear lens as well.

Mark Wilson

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, thanks.

I have top mount advance. I'll try the shutter assembly first. Much appreciated

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration