Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta hi-matic 9 stuck shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Minolta hi-matic 9 stuck shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kitty

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a himatic 9 which seems to have a stuck shutter. While there is a click when I press the shutter button, the shutter blades don't move inside the lens. I tried them a few times and on some occasions they moved, but a little slowly and not closing fully after. I figure the front elements would need to be removed, I'm a little wary of trying that myself and thinking about professional help, but just in case, can someone point me to a guide on how to fix this problem?

PS. this is a little OT, but I was wondering if it would damage this camera if I move the shutter speed ring before cocking the shutter?

WernerJB

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... answering your question: there is no need to be afraid, most people succeed after some futile attempts. This source shows what you will be into: http://homepage1.nifty.com/fukucame/daisaku/d59.htm if this looks too demanding, practice on a junker first and make good use of this forum's "Keyword Search".

... PS: no, although it may sound as if

Scott

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

The Hi-Matic 9 is a great camera, I enjoy using mine. Judging from your description of the problem, I think it should be fairly easy to fix. You will have to at least remove the front lens, but you may not have to take out the rear lens glass. The lenses just screw in and out.

Most likely you will only have to clean the blades. If that doesn't fix it, the next step is to open the shutter and clean the workings inside.

Here some advice I posted last week regarding a different but similar camera:

As with all other cameras with the concentric metal-blade shutters, it's dirty shutter blades that most often causes the shutter and the advance mechanism to become stuck. That's not the only explanation, but it is the most likely, in my experience.

If the blades are not clean, there will be too much friction as they slide against one another. The advance mechanism gets stuck because the excess friction of the shutter blades prevents the normal completion of the shutter release cycle. Once the shutter blades are clean and working properly, then the advance mech. will also work. Be sure not to force anything.

Even blades that look quite clean already may need to be cleaned. Also, part of the blade is not visible without disassembly.

I usually remove the lens glass, and carefully drip some naptha/lighter fluid on the blades, run the shutter a few times, and then wipe the exposed part of the blades clean. Don't use more than 3 or 4 drops. Wait a day or so before putting the lenses back in. Often, a shutter that works properly right after being cleaned will begin to stick again later when the solvent has evaporated.

See the several "camera repair articles" in the "camera articles" section of this site.

WernerJB

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Often, a shutter that works properly right after being cleaned will begin to stick again later when the solvent has evaporated."
You are right on that, Scott, but that is why, especially on the old Hi-Matics, it is a must to clean the blades from both sides, and this can only be done if you remove the rear half of the lens, otherwise your camera will again fail, sooner than later.

Kitty

Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! I just might give it a shot:)

PS. The advance seems to work fine.

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 03:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is also important to remove any grease, not only to dissolve it. To do so, I put some drops of lighter fluid on them, then release the shutter and wipe off the excess. Release and wipe off until the blades seem dry (they actually will not be dry yet). Doing so two or three cycles usually cleans the blade. You also should give the shutter a one week's rest to check whether the blades won't gum up again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration