Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Seperated lens element Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Seperated lens element « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wayne

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a cemented lens element that has seperation causing what appears to be concentric rings of the glue or cement between the elements. I seem to recall reading somwhere that someone fixed a similar problem by heating the elements in a 200 degree oven. Supposedly this allows the balsam cement to melt and reseal. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? And do I have anything to lose trying it? It is from a Vivitar zoom lens.
Wayne

wayne

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Wayne (from another Wayne)

I'm not sure when balsam was superceded by more modern optical cement, but I doubt it was used in your Vivitar lens. I don't know if the heating trick works with the modern synthetic cements, but it did more or less fix a separation problem in an old Rollei doublet I had. I didn't do the heating - somebody else was trying to separate the elements for me but the heating process melted and redistributed the cement, effectively curing the problem. I've used methylene chloride to separate elements glued with synthetic cement, without resorting to heat. Of course you then have to clean up the elements and recement them. Summers Optical sell a wide range of optical cements, and I've found the UV curing ones very easy to use (I think I've got type J-91).

Cheers
Wayne

rick

Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Separation generally does not have very serious consequences in terms of performance, though it's a big deal cosmetically. Depending on where this element/group is in the zoom lens, if you can't live with the separation you may find that it would be a whole lot less trouble and not much more cost to replace the lens.

Wayne

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 05:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Wayne for the reply. I suspect you're right in that my lens is more likely to have a synthetic cement. I hadn't thought of that. Who knows how it would react to heat?
And Rick, I think I'll take a hint from your suggestion and try reassembling the lens and give it a test to see just how it does perform. The element group is an inner element in a Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm.
Wayne

wayne

Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 07:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just as a follow-up, I reassembled the Vivitar 28-90 Series 1 lens and went out and tested it against some other similar zoom lenses I have, using Kodak E100G slide film and a tripod. It certainly wasn't a scientific test, and wasn't shot on a map or test chart, but using an 8x loupe and light table, I could see no difference in the slides that came from the lens with seperation.
Thanks Rick and Wayne for the advice.
Wayne

John Shriver

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done baking of a balsam cemented lens group (a Leica Summar), because the group is peened into the lens mount, and the lens was in such ghastly condition that it wasn't worth caring about.

The balsam did melt, and with some pressure I greatly reduced the amount of separation. I did cause a lot of little bubbles. It went from having ghost images to just being fuzzy.

I managed to upgrade a wretched lens to a bad lens. Doesn't do anything about the brass filings trapped between two elements, where one was put back with epoxy. (The efforts of the butcher who ruined this lens.)

John Shriver
http://john.shriver.home.comcast.net

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration