Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Engraving letters and numbers on brass Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Engraving letters and numbers on brass « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone!

I am trying to make same kind of small sunken engraved numbers and letters as usually are used on old cameras. They will be made on 2 mm thick brass.
I will paint the brass black and the letters and numbers white. Does anyone know how those sunken numbers and letter were done? It seems impossible to do them with normal engraving tools. I also tried some number punches, but I have found only a couple of sizes of them and I need different sized numbers.
Do you know any good source in EU where to get tools for this purpose.

Winfried

Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are special machines used for (professionally) engraving letters. They look a bit like a milling machine. Usually the milling heads are controlled by templates, i.e. engravers have template tables of letters of different sizes.

For engraving of parts in large quantities special machines were designed. I am afraid it is not very easy to engrave small letters on brass in a professional look.

Maybe a jeweller can help you, these people do engraving on metal parts. There are also shops selling medals, metal cups etc as prizes for sports contest, they usually also do engraving.

David Ritchie

Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 07:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To add to the thoughts posted by Winfried,you may want to look for someone who has one of the small milling machines that make signs for office doors etc where they mill through an outer layer of colored plastic to expose white plastic under it thus making the sign.I have no idea if they can handle brass or not, but since it is relatively soft, it may be worth a try.
Good luck.

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 07:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here in the UK there are any number of high street shops of the type Winfried mentions, doing engraving on sports awards etc.Most of these concerns use pantograph engraving machines and are able to produce all kinds of name plates etc.

I am sure you must have similar concerns in your neck of the woods. A visit should enable you to explain what you want and match font size/type to what is available. If you want solid brass take your own blanks, most of these concerns only stock 'brass' plated alloy blanks. These match those ghastly plated plastic awards, that seem the in thing these days.

paul ron

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any jewler or sign shop can engrave the numbers on their machines. Sign machines, even the manual ones, can engrave non-ferrous materials using their carbide cutters. I used a computerized Hermes machine for many years to make signs and brass plaques, even cut stained glass with a diamond tip cutter.

Another way to do your numbers is by stamping. I had a set of metal alphabet n number sets used for stamping. You'll have to remove the part and support it with a steel block below as you place the stamp in position, then gently but firmly hit it with a hammer. These sets are generally used by locksmiths.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration