Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Getting cigarette smell out of cameras Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Getting cigarette smell out of cameras « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Clarke

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi- I was able to pick up 5 cameras recently, but they came from a smoker, and these cameras smell. Is there any secrets to get rid of the cigarette smell?

thanks

David Ritchie

Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggest that you first do a keyword search under utilities shown in the orange column at you left. Type in "smoke" and several items will pop up that have previously been written on the subject.You may also try "odor" to see what comes up. Personally, one of the first things that I do is use a cotton swab dampened with alcohol and clean the whole outside being careful to stay away from the glass. Change the swab several times. It is disgusting the amount of brown tar that you remove. If in doubt, check that the alcohol will not hurt any part that it may come in contact with. Generally speaking, it is pretty save to use.This should get you started on the odor removal problem.

John

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard, I do have a solution for you! Buy a bar of Irish Spring soap. Cut the top off of the box but leave the bar of soap in the (now-topless) box. Put the camera and soap into a larger box, close it up, and leave for several days. I got this idea from my wife and it does work on cigarette smell and mold smell.

Good luck.
John

Dorian

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For the smell, put the camera outdoors for several days. For tar, the alcohol swabbing works but is very laborious, you could be at it for days or weeks.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration