Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE2 hot shoe problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » Nikon FE2 hot shoe problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bogey

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My fe2 hot shoe came loose but it still fired the flash gun, I took the top off the camera and tightened the screws which hold the hot shoe on. I then re-assembled the camera,the flash ready light comes on but the flash will not fire, what have I done wrong?

rick

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably need to go back in and look. Check that the wire to the big central contact is intact.... sometimes the handling from disassembly and reassembly can break a solder connection.

KrisR

Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding the top cover removeal...I've had the tops off a few Nikons, including the FG,FA and FE. On some the hot shoe was connected with wires and on at least one the contacts were instead copper 'leaf springs', for lack of a better name, that made the connection between the flex circut and the shoe. I believe the FA was made both ways. Unfortunately I didn't take notes and I can't remember which camera had which. I'd like to repair a small dent on the top cover of an FE-2 and have put it off because of the wire issue. If the FE-2 uses the 'leaf spring' contacts I'll give it a go. Can you or anyone else tell me which type it has?

Thanks, KrisR.

Peter Schoenmeier

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

> On some the hot shoe was connected with wires and on at least one the contacts were instead copper 'leaf springs', for lack of a better name, that made the connection between the flex circut and the shoe.

Yes, and that 2 'leaf springs' are pushed together (which makes the actual contact) by a small pin, which is located in a small hole at the side of the hot shoe. The small pin can move inside this hole and is pushed down by the flash.
I guess you lost this small pin which can be replaced by a small homemade plastic pin.

Hope this helps, Peter

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration