Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

R3 gluing metal to plastic Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2005 » R3 gluing metal to plastic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nikos

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here I am again with the Safari R3 this time. I bought the whole set in 1981 and never used the camera or the lenses. Two years ago I tried to use the camera and except for the light meter nothing worked. Yesterday, I removed the right hand side cover of the camera and the reason of the malfunction was immediately obvious. On the circuit board there is a small two prong spring loaded wiper assembly. The metal part had been dislodged from its plastic pivoting carrier and was short circuiting the board (image available). Putting it back to its intended position allowed the camera to work properly. Obviously it needs to be reattached or a new wiper assembly installed. I have two questions regarding tackling this problem:
1.Is the brass pivot removable? If it is I can either remove the plastic part and repair it away from the board or install a new one. If I can remove the plastic part my options for repair methods are significantly enhanced.
2.By searching this forum and the Internet I concluded that the best glue for mating the two parts together (actually all I need is two plastic “rivets” that will keep the metal part in place through its two tiny holes) is a product by Loctite called either Plastix or Super Glue. It was described by Henry but he couldn’t tell the name since the labels were long gone. Is my impression correct that this is the right glue? If I do the repair in situ (meaning with the wiper on the board) I may have only one chance so I want to start with the right glue.
Any comments, advice, recommendations etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Nikos

Henry

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nikos, would you rather have the part itself? I recently got a partially disassembled R3. A spring is going to Argentina as soon as I remember to contact Carlos to find out which one he needs.

If you can snap a pic of what you need I'd be glad to see if the shoebox contains it.

Henry

Glenn Middleton

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From your description I would guess that the metal wiper was originally held by two plastic 'prongs' that were heat riveted onto the wiper. It seems that these prongs have been sheered off, originally I guess that they would have been molded in the plastic part.

Super glue will work, but for things like this I use a high strength epoxy. Gives you time to position and also gives a stronger bond.

However note that if the plastic part is made from nylon or one of its derivatives, then the bond will be weak no matter which adhesive you use.

I have repaired a similar nylon based switch by drilling the plastic and using fine brass nails through the original holes in the metal wiper. In my case the plastic bit just pulled off the pivot. Note, I was not working on the R3.

Nikos

Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Henry I sent you the pic already.

Glenn, thank you for sharing your experience with me. What I have in mind is to drill through the plastic at the spots where the welds were and after aligning the two parts use epoxy as a rivet. However, if the thing is removable, I might as well replace the whole thing this, of course, being contingent on the contents of Henry's shoebox.

Nikos

Nikos

Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 07:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A small update. The wiper is not removable, because its pivot is riveted to the circuit board as I found out trying to unscrew it. The circuit board comes as a complete assembly at a price of 134.00 USD, special order from Germany. For the time being I will try my luck with glue, in situ.

Nikos

Nikos

Posted on Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The job was done using a two-part glue sold by Micro Tools and called Loctite Super Glue. It consists of a cyanoacrylate glue and an activator. The strength of the bond is very satisfactory as I found out by separating (due to slight misalignment) the two parts the first time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration